Thursday, July 26, 2012

More Music stuff! coming to you semi-live from T.C. Blue


This past week has been a bit on the crazy side, and despite my best intentions, I haven't had much opportunity to write anything interesting for the Cafe. I am, however, working on a piece for next week that will showcase the work of an amazing photographer whose exhibit ""Transcendents - exhibition by Cameron Wolf featuring SWING at the International AIDS Conference 2012" was one of the highlights of the conference for me. (Disclosure, here: Cameron is an old friend... by which I mean I've known him for a really long time. I'm not calling him 'old.' Haha! This in no way colors my opinion on his photographic work. He's amazing.)

In the meantime, I thought I'd mention music. Again. Now, I know I've mentioned song lyrics in the past (my own, rather than anyone else's), and last week was commentary on the social relevance of La Lambert. This week, I'm just going to mention some of the music I've been listening to for the last couple weeks. Again, full disclosure: I did a road trip to upstate NY the Monday before last and returned this past Monday, so there was lots of driving time and music listening going on. Also lots of energy drinks. Heh-heh. So here, in no particular order, are the records I most enjoyed during the long-ass drive.

Scissor Sisters: Magic Hour -- Okay, this one was a little expensive for me, but I love these guys so I bit the bullet and paid my money. I'm glad I did. :) This record has a really interesting retro feel to me that I very much enjoyed. Personal favorite tracks include 'Baby Come Home,' 'Only the Horses,' and 'Best In Me.' I know, I know... 'Let's Have a Kiki' is all over the place and people love it (so do I), but there's much more to this record than just that.

Blood on the Dance Floor: Evolution -- This group kicks ass. there's no other way to say it. They just do. They're heavily made-up (my friend in upstate thinks they look scary), and their sound is an appealing mix of styles, but ultimately, their message is that we all need love and that love is the most important and powerful thing on earth. (Okay, I'm possibly letting my own interpretation color things, here, but isn't that what music and other forms of art are for?) Personal faves: 'Hollywood Tragedy (feat. Shawn Brandon),' 'Love Conquers All (feat. Elena Vladi),' and 'The Right To Love.' BOTDF is fairly heavy on the elctronics for some, I suppose, but Evolution definitely helped the drive go by more quickly. Also, they were great at the Warped Tour this past Tuesday. Just saying. (There's a 'Warped Tour' 2-CD set available now. It's between 8 and 10 bucks, depending on where you get it, and has 50 songs from the bands taking part in the tour. If you like to hear new bands, you might want to get this one. never heard of many of them, but now I have, and I'm GLAD!)

Black Veil Brides: Set the World on Fire -- I love this record. Seriously. And not just because I have a strong fondness for pretty boys wearing makeup. 'Rebel Love Song' is probably my favorite track. Or maybe 'Die For You.' Possibly 'Youth and Whiskey.' It's hard to say. These guys rock and do it hard, though.

Foxy Shazam: The Church of Rock and Roll -- Pretty much this whole record works for me. The first three tracks (Welcome to the Church of Rock and Roll, I Like It, and Holy Touch) get things started off right and it just keeps going that way. These guys have found a really good balance in sound and meaning, so I recommend them VERY highly.

Finally, no list of driving-music would be complete without mention of this record-- Marilyn Manson: Born Villain. Granted, he may not be everyone's cup of tea, but this record is fucking awesome. Yes, I just said that. I love the lyrics on just about every song, and one thing I think everyone has to agree on is that Manson definitely has something to say. It's not always what people want to hear, but that doesn't make it any less valid. Mucially, this record rocked the drive and I'm very happy that I bought it. Children of Cain, Pistol Whipped, The Gardener, and Murderers Are Getting Prettier Every Day are probably my favorite tracks right now.

I listened to a whole lot of other music on the drive up and back, but these are the ones that were both new and really resonated for me. Check these bands out here:

Scissor Sisters: Only the Horses - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3m-XH1Kij0
Blood on the Dance Floor: Unforgiven - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPJ_AnmB9Yg
Black Veil Brides: Rebel Love Song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl-_ZmNCOvo
Foxy Shazam: I Like It - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rz4I69mQMo
Marilyn Manson: the Gardener -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oq04qLiOAU&feature=c-shelf-119

I know there's a way to post links that's less unwieldy. Promise to figure it out before next week! Haha!

Until then, guys... Have fun and be good to yourselves!

~Tis


1 comment:

  1. Looks like we're both doing a lot of music-based posts, Tis. :)

    ReplyDelete