Monday, July 23, 2012

Song Inspirations by Cardeno C. (Dos)



Happy Monday! This week is the second of my posts about the songs that inspired my book titles. Sometimes it was the lyrics, sometimes it was the tone of the song, but one way or another, these songs connected, in my mind, with the stories I was trying to write.

Love at First Sight: “Love at First Sight” by Kylie Minogue.

Love at First Sight is the story of Jonathan and David. Okay, so saying it’s “the” story of Jonathan and David is more than a little outrageous. But it’s at least “a” story about Jonathan and David, 
and in this one, there’s a happy ending. *

Jonathan is a young man who considers himself to be very average. He has a knack for getting himself into trouble, and when the story starts, Jonathan is having one of those unlucky days. He’s visiting New York, gets injured, then gets lost in the hospital. When he looks up, he sees David. And just like that, everything goes from wrong to right and Jonathan stares at the man he immediately knows is his future. Though he realizes right away he and the stranger are meant to be together, he loses track of David that first day and it takes him years to find the man again. But just as he is giving up his search, not knowing what he’ll do with his life, David reappears, and this time he is back to stay.

With that introduction in mind, you can see why Kylie Minogue’s Love at First Sight felt very much like it fit this story.

Thought that I was going crazy Just havin' one those days yea 
Didn't know what to do Then there was you 
And everything went from wrong to right 
And the stars came out to fill up the sky 
The music you were playin' really blew my mind 
It was love at first sight 
'Cause baby when I heard you 
For the first time I knew We were meant to be as one 
I was tired of running out of luck Thinkin' 'bout giving up, 
yea Didn't know what to do 
Then there was you

(*If you’re wondering what I’m talking about here, I recommend a quick Google search for David and Jonathan and all will be clear.)


Just What the Truth Is: "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues


Just What the Truth Is is a love story, of course, but it's also a coming out story. Ben meets and falls in love with Micah and he sees the possibility of living the type of life he’s always wanted - a life he can share with someone, where they can walk together hand in hand; a life where he can appreciate the beauty around him, rather than living in fear of his family and friends figuring out who he is. But obtaining that life looks easier from the outside than it feels to Ben, who has had a lifetime of hearing his parents state their negative thoughts about gay people, including Ben’s brother.

 Ben is tired and overwhelmed. He feels like nobody can understand exactly what he’s going through and what he’ll have to give up if he comes out. But with Micah by his side, Ben eventually realizes that the only way for him to find his happiness and be who he wants to be in the end, is to own his truth.

The lyrics, the somber tone, and the passionate music in the Moody Blues’ Nights in White Satin fit this story perfectly.

Nights in white satin never reaching the end 
Letters I've written never meaning to send 
Beauty I'd always missed with these eyes before 
Just what the truth is I can't say any more
'Cause, I love you Yes, I love you Oh, how I love you
Gazing at people, some hand in hand 
Just what I'm going through, they can't understand 
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend 
Just what you want to be, you'll be in the end 
And I love you Yes, I love you Oh, how I love you, oh I love you

Places in Time: “A Place in Time” by Amanda Abizaid


Places in Time is a shorty story I wrote for Dreamspinner's time travel daily dose. Jude and Ethan have been friends for decades, but it takes a trip back through time for Jude to see his own feelings through a different lens. Their friendship consists of places in time stretched over decades and it ultimately leads them to find their place in time as a couple. Amanda Abizaid’s A Place in Time has a great surreal feel to it that perfectly matches a story meant to have a bit of an other-worldly element.

So long ago, another life I can feel your heartbeat   
It's not a dream, remember us I could see it in your eyes
We'll find our place in time A place in time, beyond the sun
We'll find our place in time A place in time to call our own


Three more stories, three more songs. For those of you who've read these stories and heard the songs, what do you think? Do they fit?

www.cardenoc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment