Monday, July 16, 2012

Song Inspirations by Cardeno C. (Uno)



Happy Monday! I hope you're all getting your week off to a good start. My post today was inspired by Amanda, who asked me to share the songs that inspire my story titles. So that's a double inspiration to start the day. I may try to order that at Starbucks and see what happens. 

To keep the length of this post manageable, I’m going to break it up. I’ll share a few story title inspiration lyrics today, a few more next week, and the week after that I’ll talk about the songs that inspired my upcoming releases. I'd love to hear from you if there are songs you think I should consider for future book inspirations.

Okay, now on with the post!

Home Again: "Love Song" by the Cure.  
When I was working on this story, I went back and forth between “Home Again” and "However Far Away, However Long I Stay" for the title. This story is told in two parts: (1) Noah and Clark meeting and falling in love, and (2) Noah and Clark coming back together after an absence. Through both parts, we learn that Clark and Noah are whole when they are together, that they are each other’s home, and that this didn’t change regardless of how far away they were.
Whenever I'm alone with you You make me feel like I am home again Whenever I'm alone with you You make me feel like I am whole again
Whenever I'm alone with you You make me feel like I am young again Whenever I'm alone with you You make me feel like I am fun again
However far away I will always love you However long I stay I will always love you Whatever words I say I will always love you I will always love you



Where He Ends and I Begin: "Where You End and I Begin" by Radiohead

Where He Ends and I Begin is a story of two men who have loved each other since birth, but neither realized that the other was in love with him as well. In many ways, this is a very traditional “fall in love with the boy next door” story line.
When I heard this Radiohead song, it made me think of Jake and Nate. Their love has always been (from when the dinosaurs roamed the earth), but there was a gap in between (twenty-eight years of devoted friendship before they each realized the depth of the other’s feelings). Once they share those feelings and put an end to, not so much lies, but misunderstandings, the men are up in the clouds and they’ll never come down. And anyone who has read the book can attest to the fact that they eat each other alive. Frequently.
There's a gap in between There's a gap where we meet Where I end and you begin
And I'm sorry for us The dinosaurs roam the earth The sky turns green Where I end and you begin
I am up in the clouds I am up in the clouds And I can't, and I can't come down
I can watch and not take part Where I end and where you start Where you, you left me alone You left me alone
X will mark the place Like the parting of the waves Like a house falling in the sea In the sea
I will eat you alive I will eat you alive I will eat you alive I will eat you alive
And there'll be no more lies There'll be no more lies There'll be no more lies There'll be no more lies
He Completes Me: "You Complete Me" by Keyshia Cole

He Completes Me is the story of Zach, a man who hasn’t felt the love of family since his father passed away as a teen, and Aaron, a man who wants desperately to be Zach’s family. If ever there were opposites, that’s Aaron and Zach, and yet, they compliment each other perfectly. Aaron helps Zach be the best man he can be and Zach helps Aaron find joy in his own life.
Can you hear me out there? Have you ever had someone who loved you Never leave your side? I know you'll be here because you love me, yes, you do
I'm givin' all my life and all my love if you Promise me that you'll be here forever I'll give you all of me, I'll give you everything If you promise me you'll never leave me
What my friends say don't matter. You'll be right here from the start And I'll get on my knees, I'll give you all of me If you never leave my side, because
You love me, you complete me You hold my heart in your hands And it's okay 'cause I trust that You'll be the best man that you can Baby, you love me, yeah, oh yes, you do, yeah
And no matter what they ever say about you I'm gonna stay by your side Promise me no matter what they say about me That you're gonna be here until the end of time
'Cause you held me down when nobody was around And gave me all the love I need So give me more, don't you ever leave' Cause you complete me
I know, you love me, you complete me You hold my heart in your hands And it's okay 'cause I trust that You'll be the best man that you can
'Cause you, give me my heart back Give me my love back, baby I want it all because it's never enough Give me my heart, give me my love back I want it all because it's never enough
You love me, you complete me You hold my heart in your hands And it's okay 'cause I trust that You'll be the best man that you can
You love me, you complete me You hold my heart in your hands And it's okay 'cause I trust that You'll be the best man that you can
And it's okay I know you do, I know you do Yes, you do, I need you, too Yeah, I love you, baby, ohh

Okay, so those are the first three books and the first three songs. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I think that's a great way and place to find inspiration. Titles are flippin' HARD to come up with! *nodnod*

    ~Tis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually don't have trouble with titles. Sometimes, that's the first thing that comes to me, and I build the story around it. Then again, we all know I'm not really right in the head.

    Great post on auditory inspiration, C.C.!

    ReplyDelete