Thursday, August 30, 2012

Oh, the humanity? T.C. Blue's Con-life.


As many of you likely know, this weekend is Dracon*Con in Atlanta, GA. This is my 10th year and as such, I'm excited to experience still more craziness. *hee*

In honor of the event, I thought I'd share some of the unique experiences I've had in that time. Just a few. :P (Next week I'll be talking about politics, Gods help us all!)

My first year: It was my friend Jen who talked me into my first Dragon*Con, and while I did attend, she was the only person I knew there. I can't say I was particularly nervous, but I did wonder whether I would get along with her other friends or just piss them off. (This was a 50-50 shot, really.) So she met me when I got to the hotel and took me to a spot where about 10 people were gathered. As we approached, one of the guys in the group was saying "Well, Weebles wobble but they don't fall down." My response: "They do if you smash them with a hammer." (You guessed it. I fit right in.) I was amazed, amused, and disturbed, by turns, at some of the costuming choices many of the attendees made, and the costume parade through the streets of downtown Atlanta (they block the streets off for this every year and there's usually some footage shown on several national news programs).

Thus began my affair with Dragon*Con. This affair has included meeting the Firefly cast (without knowing it because I hadn't watched the show when it was on the air), causing myself and my friends to start having giant parties, and becoming familiar with the idea of a convention that takes over a good 8 hotels and most of downtown.

Other firsts for me that occurred at Dragon*Con: I had never before been vomited on from a hundred feet up. That wasn't fun, but how many people can actually say it's happened to them? Had a man in a quasi Dr. Horrible costume ask to take a picture of my (fully clothed) tits. Spent an hour debating the merits of Robert Heinlein vs Frank Herbert (hard to say who won that one because they're very different authors) with a rather well known writer. Spent over an hour trying to figure out where one of my friends had lost her glasses while drunky-drunk. Run into people from my past and discovering that I didn't miss them at all (this one was an eye-opener for me).

Last year, the Hyatt bar was different. Changed. I suppose someone thought it was a good idea, but they ruined it. Sadly, it still has more seating than the Marriott bar, so we're kind of stuck. With a group the size of ours, seating is necessary.

Usually I fly but this year I had to drive, due to the sheer amount of stuff I had to bring with me. I think next year I'm going to pare down the crap, or possibly try to leave a week early so I can stop to visit with several friends who live between DC and Atlanta. That might actually be fun, but we'll see what happens. LOL

It's only Thursday. Con hasn't even officially started. Things are already promising to be even more insane than last year, which was crazier than the year before, which was more nuts than the previous, and so on. LOL

Some of my friends are already here, and it looks like my time will be devoted to panels and writing stuff and the consumption of copious amounts of alcohol.

Sounds like a good time to me. :)

So what are you guys up to this Labor Day weekend?

~Tis

No comments:

Post a Comment