Monday, August 13, 2012

Two Sentence Movie Reviews by Cardeno C. (Part Two)



Some of these movies are incredible, some are blah, some are somewhere in between. There are movies on the list that could be the topic of a multi-hour coffee house hang session, some that could be the topic of a rambling post-drinking night, and some that might just get a shrug and a smile. What they all have in common is a gay theme. I’m going to do my best to narrow my thoughts about each movie to two sentences. Here’s part two of my two sentence movie reviews (in no particular order).

1.     Touch of Pink: Has a somewhat nostalgic feel to it, which I think is intentional. Not too heavy, liked the family drama.

2.     East Side Story: Some of the characters are over the top, same with some of the acting. Still, I enjoyed this movie and I’d recommend it.
3.     The Curiosity of Chance: This is SUCH a great coming of age film. Love the main character, love his well-meaning father, love his precocious sister, don’t love the “it’s a gay film so we need a hunky character even if he can’t act and doesn’t add much but let’s have him take his shirt off and flex.”
4.     Trick: My friends liked this one more than me. Plus side: nobody dies.
5.     Adam and Steve: Really liked the characters, good story, sweet and funny. But that one scene in the beginning, you know the one, we didn’t need to see that.
6.     Burnt Money: A robber caper, through and through. Hot as hell, gritty, passionate, and though I didn’t like the ending, it made sense in context.
7.     My Own Private Idaho: River Phoenix, Keanu Reeves – in 1991 that was reason enough to like a movie. I ached for Mike when I first saw this.
8.     Shortbus: There’s a lot going on here, all of it interesting, but none of it as fleshed out as I’d have liked. And do these people know anybody who isn’t totally fucked up?
9.     Testerostone: Let’s see, the acting is good, the writing is good, the plot is … interesting. But the characters are all unlikeable and somewhat despicable and I felt like I needed a shower when it was over.
10.  Holding Trevor: This could have been much better with a different ending. I’d have still wanted to slap Trevor’s friends around, but there are some great threads, the two leads are interesting, there’s some really good dialogue, and with a different ending the movie would have made sense.   
11.  All Over the Guy: Fun, feel-good movie. It’s nice when you’re hoping it’ll work out and it actually does.
12.  Broken Sky: This movie is very different, but I really enjoyed it. Almost no dialogue (yet the actors conveyed their passion/feelings perfectly), very heavy on the sex, and oddly edited (I’ve decided the beginning was actually the end because that makes more sense.)
13.  Love of Siam. The award for "Why Was it So Long?" followed by the award for "Have you Never Heard of Independent Movies and the Fact that they have Questionable Editing?" (Two awards that also could have gone to Broken Sky but this one doesn't have the benefit of extraneous sex to make the length of the movie bearable). Honestly, what’s with the endings – do they think an unhappy ending adds depth?

www.cardenoc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment