Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Dragon Con 2012: Hot Men In Tights


Ah, Dragon Con. One of the few places and times when people are free to don capes and tights and run amuck over the streets of Atlanta without fear of being carted off to a nice padded room with all the Prozac cocktails you can swallow.

For those of you who aren't familiar with it, Dragon Con is the third largest Fantasy/Sci-Fi convention in the United States, outgunned only by Comic Con and GenCon. Every Labor Day weekend, tens of thousands of people swarm into Atlanta, Georgia for a weekend of gaming, costuming, fan gurl/boying, and overall drunken debauchery. No matter what your chosen fandom, be it comics, manga, yaoi, television shows, movies, or books,  there's a track for you at Dragon Con. There's a parade on Saturday in which hundreds of people march, all dressed as their favorite characters. I'm telling you, you haven't lived until you've seen a hundred Stormtroopers march by, followed by a plethora of Elves, Wizards, Hobbits, Pikachus, zombies, Spartans, and Avengers.

I spent this year's Dragon Con running from panel to panel. I sat on the WriteSex/Tantric Tentacle panel, the Kirk's Communicator (Where Do I Submit) panel, the Down and Dirty Marketing panel, and the Into the Future panel for the Electronic Frontier Track, and two GLBT romance panels for the Writer's Track. All of them, I believe, were extremely successful, and I had a ball sitting on each and every one of them.




My fellow panelists (and big, huge, wet kisses go to Kage Alan, TcBlue, Sascha Illyvitch, Kayelle Allen, Cynarra Tregarth, Adrienne Wilder, Gail Martin, Stella Price, Shea Connor, and I know I'm forgetting people and for that I apologize!) were all amazing, and offered great advice and information on the business of writing and publishing.

I also participated in the M/M Author Meet and Greet, which was held for the second year in a row at the Marriott Hotel. I loved seeing every one again! 

I did manage to jog through the Walk of Fame in between the panels, and saw John Rhys Davies (who played Gimli in Lord of the Rings among many, many  other roles), John Barrowman, Burt Ward (the original Robin in the 1960's version of Batman and Robin), and several other celebrities.

I was also asked to help host the Lord of the Rings Fanfic panel, which was fun. It was after this panel that I was approached by a woman who was...let's say, a wee bit inebriated. She proceeded to regale us with her fanfic in which Ronald McDonald (whose hair was the color of a billion fiery suns) got drunk, decided to rob a bank, and ended up having wild monkey sex with the Hamburglar in the bank.

I cannot get the image of the clown and the burglar rolling around in the lobby of the local Bank of America out of my head. Brillo and bleach probably won't help. It's stuck there forever now, God help me.

In any case, I had an absolute blast at Dragon Con, and definitely hope to be there again next year!











No comments:

Post a Comment