Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Influences


I know what you're thinking. What in the world are the guys from JAWS doing on this blog? Well I plan to post for a bit about influences and this, more than a lot of things, defined my view of the world when I was young.

My Dad took me and my sister to see the movie when it first came out in the theater. I was nine, she was seven, so that gives you an idea of the fossil that I am. But the point is is that from that time to now, me and the water have not been close. I lived in Hawaii for goodness sakes, it's sort of counter-productive to be afraid to swim if you live there. But while everyone else was out splashing around, I thought of Hooper and him talking about people swimming lining up to be a hot lunch. These are the things that stick with you.When I was older I watched the movie again and then again and while I will never be near the number of times my husband saw Star Wars (heehee) I have seen it enough times to get it.

There is, in the movie, the kind of showing versus telling and subtle male bonding that I am working to get better at. Not so much with Quint, he is shaped by experiences too horrifying to come back from, he's really not capable of bonding, but between Brody and Hooper. They are so different, the big city cop running away from crime and corruption to a picturesque life and the very rich save-the-planet guy who came to help when he was called. I love Hooper's arrival because he gives the chief factual back-up and the chief gives him muscle. I like the idea of the characters each building up the other. There's a scene later on on the boat when Quint and Hooper are comparing scars. They both have bite marks and at one point Brody lifts his shirt to look at the mark on his stomach. Without any back story we get it, it's a bullet wound and that story of life and death would make all the others pale in comparison. And later Quint tells a horrible true story and its important to the movie but in that moment where the chief says nothing, we learn a lot about his character. He's the show not tell guy, he's the one who makes his heart known through his actions not his words. Hooper appreciates the strength in the silence and they become friends because of that. All the subtleties of the movie are what makes it great. Its as amazing as much for what you don't see as what you do. I love movies like that but even more, I love books like that.


2 comments:

  1. Mary, I SO see the strong silent type influences in your books! Just reread Again last night (again) and enjoyed Dante.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, if I didn't say it before! And much like CC, I'm a huge fan of your work! *grins*

    ReplyDelete