Sunday, November 25, 2012

Show Me the Funny


someecards.com
I like to write dark. I like to write a little angsty. A man ends an abusive relationship and thinks about ending himself, as well (Amor Prohibido). The last remaining vampire on earth is not just starving for blood, but for love and companionship (Immortal Valentine). There's a little humor thrown in so that God willing nobody gets mired too deep in the muck, and everyone kisses and makes up at the end, but still... Chuck Wendig (wanna be an author? Read him.) advises pouring all of your fears, your insecurities, and of course your pain into your writing...and in the spirit of NaNo I've been doing that shit hard-core, at the speed of many thousands of words per day. Not my usual tortoise-like output. At the end of the evening, I can have a mental mess on my hands.

So today I share with you some of the ways I get my giggle on:

  • Husbands - Written by Brad Bell and Jane Espenson (and featuring the insanely hot Sean Hemeon), this bite-sized web comedy features fresh humor and heart-warming romance. It is now also available in comic book form. Find out more at LoveHusbands.com and the GoCheeksGo YouTube channel. You can also find my recent Husbands comic review, at I smell Sheep
  • College Humor - This humorous video site is all kinds of wrong. Wrong in the good way. The Batman riffs are pretty damn entertaining, and of course there's that one about how gay men will marry straight guys' girlfriends
  • SomeECards - I shudder to think how much I've procrastinated on this site. You know you've got a solid friendship with someone when you can take the leap of sending them one (or more than one) of these babies with the subject heading "Saw this and thought of you."
  • Clumsy Thumsy - The Ellen Show's Clumsy Thumbsy segments and Damn You AutoCorrect are possibly my favorite guilty pleasures. I like the show better because it's edited for maximum hilarity and I can (ha!)  multitask while I listen. I haven't laughed so hard since that time I accidentally grabbed a computer nerd's crotch in the middle of a crowded hallway. 
There are more, many more, but those are my big, favorite ways to break out out of my funk and get silly. Sometimes you gotta, and they say laughter is good for the soul. What are yours? No, wait. Don't tell me, I have to get back to work. Mary Calmes is cracking the whip at me...

by Ellis Carrington

3 comments:

  1. I love Someecards! Will have to check out Husbands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas, Ellis. I'm always looking for reasons to laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a HUGE fan of DamnYouAutoCorrect!LOL And Husbands has been a fave since it started. I also love the SomeECards, and I've been pimping "Gay Men Will Marry Your Girlfriends" for weeks now.

    I'm kinda starting to think we might be related. And welcome! Hahaha!

    ~Tis

    ReplyDelete