Friday, December 28, 2012

Happy Holidays! And a Happy New Year! By B.G. Thomas



So I hope your holidays have been amazing and I hope the coming year makes all others pale in comparison. And I mean that! I put it out there for you and I hope you claim in with open hands.

It has certainly been in interesting and frustrating holiday for me. On December 10th,  had a full knee replacement and believe you me, it’s not picnic. Fortunately, I had miracle nurses in the hospital who treated me like a Queen…I mean king. *G*

Then my husband!  O—M—G!  I don’t know how to describe it all, but he has been unbelievable. His patience, his kindness, his love… I want to wax poetic and not go into purple prose! I don’t know if I could give in the abundance that he has given.
 
What surprises me about all this is that “R” is a loner. He needs alone time. Lots of it. TONS of it! Me, I would be happy Velcroed to his side. I am a pack animal, happy to be in a heap of warm cuddling bodies. It has been a tough thing for us both to over come to make our relationship work, but we have, for over twelve years now.

So here is this man who needs tons of alone time waiting on me hand and foot. Giving me a sponge bath, helping me in and out of bed, taking my hand while the nurse took out thirty-five staples, feeding me, giving me aid even in the bathroom (I won’t explain), helping me shower (hell, showering me!), holding me when I want to cry in frustration—as I think I should be further along than I am. I had a partial knee replacement for the other leg in April and I was back at work in six weeks. I went to church the Sunday after my surgery. This time it’s been over two weeks and I have only made it downstairs three times! Aaaarrgghhh!

But little sweet miracles happen. One of my dearest friends took a taxi and dropped off holiday treats I was grumpy I was going without—egg nog, butter batter for hot buttered rum, Christmas cookies…

I think about how all this could go in a romance novel. Would people say, “Oh, this is too much! Too sweet. Too sugary. This doesn’t happen in real life! Oh, but it does.
I hit gold with “R.” Especially after the ass I was with ten years before I met him. D was a cheater and a liar and a conniver par excellence! If I put a tenth of what he did to me in a book people would roll their eyes and say that no one goes through that much shit. I did!


So needless to say, while I am not having the holidays I am used to, while this social butterfly is trapped inside and unable to go to a bar for a holiday drinkie with friends, unable to go to a single party, and still haven’t seen The Hobbit, I have so many blessings in hardly seems real. I know I have found MY Happily Every After.

If not for R, I don’t know that I could really write romance like I do. He’s proven to me that real love does exist, even for a middle-age and plump gay man!

On top of that, my story “Bianca’s Wish,” written for Dreamspinner Press’s Advent Calendar (a holiday story a day for a month) is doing pretty well! I am very excited. Isn’t that a great Christmas present?
 

Here is the blurb:  “Bianca worries that her daddy, Gavin, is lonely and decides he needs a boyfriend for Christmas. So she enlists her father's best friend, the straight and unattached Curtis. Gavin has a Christmas wish, too, and Curtis setting him up on disastrous dates isn't part of it! Meanwhile, Curtis finds life becoming complicated as he tries to please Bianca, make Gavin happy, and fend off his own unexpected mixed feelings. Will anyone's wish come true?”

And it’s a holiday story, so what do you think? Will anyone’s wish come true? I bet you know the answer!

I waited until after Christmas to tell you about my tale, because I didn’t want to come across as begging. Now I feel you can make up your own mind (like you couldn’t anyway, right?).

The reviews have been wondrous!

Hearts on Fire Reviews gave in 4 of 5 stars and declared: "This story was like Christmas hot chocolate with marshmallows."

Rarely Dusty Reviews said that "Bianca's Plan" is "an entertaining and enjoyable read with quite some humorous moments that are bound to make you smile. It's exactly the right dose of light, happy and Christmassy feel that I can't help gobbling up this time of year."

The Book Vixen stated “This is a great MM holiday story combining the best of family and love.”

And I can’t get over how favorable the reader’s reviews have been. It’s the best medicine I could have right now with all of this stuff. Correction: R is the best medicine!

And once again, I hope you all have the happiest of New Years!
With much love, B.G. Thomas

1 comment:

  1. Happy Holidays, BG! :D

    Sounds like a fun story, and I'm so thrilled for you that you found a keeper! Speaking solely for myself, there aren't many (or any) people I'd sponge-bathe, so your husband? Definitely a sweetheart!

    ~Tis

    ReplyDelete