Monday, March 4, 2013

Reader Interview: Rachel Gallagher Interviews Cardeno C.



Happy Monday, y'all. I'm doing something a little different today. A fun and very, very supportive reader, Rachel Gallagher, had some questions for me so she put together an interview and sent it my way. I promised to answer her questions here at Cafe Risque so here goes (hope I don't put you sleep with this one, Rachel):

1. What was the first thing you ever wrote?

CC: The first book I wrote was Where He Ends and I Begin. Now you may know that this was not my first book published in English, though it was the first published in other languages. I always say that I write the books in my series to be read in any order. Sometimes I think people don't believe me and they think they need to read my books in order of publication. But, really, truly, I mean it. I don't write chronologically and publication order varies depending on the language and the publisher's schedule and probably a whole array of other things I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand.

2. Who is your favorite character you have written about? Least favorite?

CC: I cannot answer that question because it would feel too much like picking favorites. There are aspects to each character's personality that I like and while certain characters definitely resonate more with me than others, at the end of the day I wouldn't be able to live with someone inside my head for as long as I do when I write these books if I didn't like that (fictional) person.

3. You once mentioned at the Dreamspinner FB chat that your family and friends don’t know you write. Does that mean at all, or just m/m romance? 

CC: There are a handful of people who know I write fiction. That's it. And, frankly, sometimes I worry that the handful is too many.

4. How did you come up with your pen name?

CC: My pen name is based on a location where I once lived.

5. Why vegetarianism? Are you a moral eater or texture eater. Also vegan or just regular vegetarian?

CC: Just vegetarian. If something with a face died, I won't eat it. Yes, my reasons for being a vegetarian originate in a moral issue based on the way animals are raised, treated, and ultimately killed for our consumption along with the related environmental impact. I also believe that there are health benefits to being a vegetarian. At this point, I haven't eaten meat for more than half my life, so I think the texture and flavor wouldn't work for me either.

6. What is the one thing you wish you had never done? i.e. skydive, snorkel, etc..

CC: I have to tell you that I read this question and skipped it and then went back to it and skipped it and then went back again and ... you get the idea. 


I've made plenty of mistakes in my life, shed my share of tears, had my share of self-doubt, suffered more embarrassing moments than I care to recount, but something I wish I hadn't ever done? Nope. All the mistakes, tears, anger, etc. were learning experiences. And at the end of the day, I'm pretty happy with who I am. If I wasn't, believe me I'd work my ass off to change it. Been there, done that. I've earned my laugh lines. No regrets.

7. What are your non-writing goals for the next year? Writing goals?

CC: Hmmm. I'd like to get my day job secure enough to foot the bills, but slow enough to allow me time to focus on my writing and my personal life.

8. If you could go back in time, where and when? Also who would you love to shake hands with?

CC: If I could go back in time, I'd love to see my grandmother again. She was an important part of my life when I was a kid. She was always on my side, my steadfast supporter. Unfortunately, she passed away years ago and I never had the chance to know her as an adult. 

When I'm faced with a tough decision, even now, I often think of my grandmother and let her memory guide me along my path. I like to think she would be proud of the person I've become. As far as handshakes, nah, I'd skip them and give her a big hug and an even bigger thank you.

9. Who is your favorite author? Comfort read?

CC: Favorites come and go over the years, so I'll answer this by telling you about the author who is my number one autobuy: Mary Calmes. And I have the great honor and privilege to be writing a book with Mary now. 

10. Last question and this is just because your fan girls have debated, we really don’t care, but I have a curious button that insists I push it...  Are you dude or chick?  For the record I think dude. 

CC: Yeah, I was wondering when this one was coming. I get that question a lot. 

It's very important to me to keep a firm line between my writing life and my non-writing life, primarily because of my day job. I don't share information about where I live, my age, my gender, my eye color ... This is true for everyone - my gender is not on my publishing contracts and my legal name happens to be one that is not gender specific.

I also have another reason why I don't share gender information. Before I published my first book, I heard about perceptions involving male authors and other perceptions involving female authors, particularly in the romance genre. I want my writing to be judged on its merits, not on my gender. So all of that is my explanation for why this is one question I'm not going to answer. :) 

Thanks for all of your support, Rachel. I really appreciate everything you've done including the Facebook fan page and the Goodreads fan group


CC
www.cardenoc.com

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to answer these. I appreciate you being so open and kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, @Rachel! I loved your questions.

      Delete
  2. I love all of your stories. Do you know if all of them will eventually be in audio book format?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, D. I sure hope so! The publisher makes the decisions on what books are made into audio books. I'm hopeful that my other works will make their way to audio soon.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your reply. I hope they will be as well. I have all of the ones that are available and listen to them often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy to hear that, D. Thank you!

      Delete