Thursday, April 11, 2013

Life imitates fiction. I look for distraction. (aka ~ pouty T.C. Blue whines)



It's no secret that the world can be a crazy place, right? I mean, the weather alone is enough to drive a girl to drink (if a girl required an excuse, of course).

I don't know where you guys live, but here by D.C. it's been one sort of wacky after another. Let's start with the fact that this time last week it was close to 40 degrees colder. (Mother Nature is apparently bi-polar at best and possibly schizophrenic.)

In the midst of all this, I've found it easier to simply stay inside as much as possible, and while that usually involves a large amount of writing, one can only do that so much. Sometimes a break is needed… especially when the book one has been working on, which is very loosely based upon a celebrity-type, ends up needing to be scrapped because one of the main plot points in the story goes and happens in real life to the person one's character is based on. (Seriously. This just happened. *groans*)

So in the midst of my preparations for seppuku, I stumbled about on Netflix, just to see what I might find as a distraction from my current woes.

I found a lot of things I'd never heard of before, including one show that I quite like. Keep in mind that I haven't had T.V. at home for seven years or so, so there are a lot of shows I've never heard of that may be very familiar to the rest of the world. Yes, I live in a bubble. Heh-heh.

So in addition to several "Oh, awesome! I so want to watch that again" series shows I do know quite well (Sherlock, Supernatural, Warehouse 13, Fringe, Psych, Firefly & Dollhouse, to name a few), I also came across something called "Breakout Kings" which originally aired on A&E. It only lasted 2 seasons, but it's worth watching.

It's not the first show to have convicts helping out law enforcement. I'm sure it won't be the last, either. There's definitely something addicting about it, though.

A gang-banger, a former bounty hunter and a defrocked doctor walk into a bar… Okay, not really. They walk into the U.S. Marshall service and help take down other criminals in exchange for time removed from their sentences. They live at a federal minimum security facility between jobs. Their bosses aren't fluffy, huggy, touchy-feely types.

Yeah, it sounds like a cliché. It kind of is. But it's a fun cliché.

It hasn't fixed my problem with life imitating fiction, of course, but it's for damned sure taken my mind off it. It's entertaining (to me). Maybe it will be for you, too. *grins*

No comments:

Post a Comment