Friday, May 31, 2013

The Boy Who Came In From the Cold: A Story of Crushed...and Renewed Dreams



Ever had a dream? A fantasy? A big hope?

Sure you have. 

A hundred years ago, when I was a teenager, it was to be somehow transported to the Battlestar: Galactica universe so I could become Starbuck’s secret lover. The hot, sexy, gorgeous, original Starbuck, not the new revised unoriginal one.  

Hey, it was a fantasy! And the real beginning of me realizing I was gay. Apparently other boys did not collect pictures of male actors without a shirt on and keep them in a scrapbook. Who’da thunk it? 

I could not, of course, transport myself to a fictional universe, but I could fantasize about Dirk Benedict. Pretty unlikely that I could be his lover either, but at least he was a real person, can you dig it? And another gay clue I should have picked up on?
 
But my real dream was to be a writer. More than anything. I was constantly writing stories and making up elaborate tales.


Todd Burton, the hero of my new novel, The Boy Who Came In From the Cold, had dreams. First he wanted to get away from his mentally and emotionally abusive stepfather. A man who had called Todd a faggot for most of his life—and the last thing Todd wanted was for the man to be right. Todd wanted to be a chef and learn under the world renowned Izar Goya. He wanted to find his own place and make a go of his life. So he left Buckman, the little town where he grew up, and headed to Kansas City. 

Where one by one his dreams were crushed. Izar threw him out of her restaurant when he asked her to be his teacher. His car broke down. He lost his job. And finally he was thrown out of his rat-trap of an apartment into a blizzard. 

Hopeless. Utterly hopeless.
 

And then he met Gabe Richards. And through the kindness of a stranger, his luck began to turn. And Gabe? You reap what you sow. Helping a hopeless young man turns his life around as well. And that might also mean healing from some very deep wounds. 

My dreams were shattered. My day job really is a soul-sucking, dream-crushing place with no regard to its employees. But then I finally took a chance and did what I’d always dreamed of doing. I wrote a story and... 

I. Actually. Submitted. It!
 
Four days later I had a contract!


Interestingly enough I was listening to a song over and over as I wrote that novella—Soul of the Mummy. That song was called “Right Outta Nowhere” by Christine Kane, and the central message of that song was, “Leap! And the net will appear.”  

So I took her advise, took a chance! I leapt. And I’ll be damned—the net appeared. 

And a stranger bought my first submission ever. And life has never been the same.
I hope you will take a chance on my new novel, The Boy Who Came In From the Cold. 

You can find it right here: http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=the+boy+who+came&osCsid=98f3vmnqjflls0u9g8lrb44vu7&x=0&y=0 

But most of all I beg you…  Whatever your dream is, take a chance. It is never too late. 

Go for it! Leap! The net will appear! 
 
Love and Namasté,
BG Thomas
 


No comments:

Post a Comment