Thursday, June 27, 2013

I'm Baaaack! T.C. Blue returns!


Hello, hello, and sorry for being MIA the last couple weeks! Last Thursday I was sick as a dog and the one before I was in the midst of a roadtrip to Pittsburgh (which is where I picked up whatever nasty plague is still lingering in my system). I'm back and almost well now, so that's good, right?

The last couple weeks have been tense for many, considering the question of how the SCOTUS would decide with regards to Prop 8, but I'm not going to talk about their decision, or not today. Loads of people have said everything already, and far more skillfully than I ever could. I'll just say the decision was a step in the right direction but we have so much further to go.

Paula Deen has been in the news recently, too. In fact, she's been dropped by Food Network, as well as pretty much every business with which she had distribution and promotional deals. Because she may have used the N word a few times in the past. (I've been reading the transcript of her testimony in the case that's led to all this craziness -- all 149 pages -- and have yet to see anything that I wouldn't also be considered guilty of. And MAYBE her brother discriminated against and acted like a racist to the woman suing, but Paula is NOT her brother. Sure, she probably shouldn't have ever used the N word casually, but the fact is that people do stupid things all the time. And maybe I'm wrong, but according to court documents, the business for which the plaintiff worked isn't one Ms. Deen was actually involved in running.)

Honestly, I think Food Network and the other businesses that have backed out of deals with her may have jumped the gun a bit. Whether she's as guilty as public opinion paints her has yet to be determined. They really should have waited until the court case is resolved before jumping on the bad-naughty-racist-must-be-punished train.

I'm not saying that I SUPPORT using racist language, so please don't think that. What I'm saying is that we've become far too dainty and quick to offend... and people are crass. We're crass, rude and classless, especially when with our friends. I've said things jokingly to my friends that I would NEVER say in public and to a stranger.

This situation is akin to someone being accused of homophobic bigotry in the workplace, then punishing that person's brother because he once called someone the-F-word-for-gay, years ago. Sorry, that's just my opinion and I hope I haven't offended anyone by having one. :P

In other news, being sick for the last week has led to me catching up on all sorts of TV shows and movies online, so I think next week might be a good time for Tis' Half-Assed Movie Reviews! We'll see.

Until next time, be good! To yourselves and to each other. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment