Sunday, July 28, 2013

This Friday in Washington DC - Women Write Gay Erotica (or Romance)


If you're in the Washington DC area this coming weekend, I strongly encourage you to hit up the OutWrite book festival. It's not as huge as some of the other LGBT reading events I've been to--nothing quite compares to the Rainbow Book Fair in NYC--but it's growing every year. This one looks like it's gonna be interesting and fun. :)

This year I'm intrigued and excited to be attending as a panel member of the Women Write Gay Erotica event (Friday August second at 6:30 pm - be there!). I classify what I write more as romance than erotica (we can debate the differences if you want but that's really a whole other post), but there are some blurred lines I suppose, and either way I'm always happy to be involved in a conversation about writing the stories I love.

The topic of women who love to write about men who love other men seems to be an ongoing source of fascination in particular. Perhaps because it's slippery and tough to pin down, because the bottom line is that the reasons we women love to write gay romance (or erotica) are as many and varied as the women who write the subject matter. Multiplied by a factor of the characters we write.

But I'm rambling. Come join us this weekend, if you're within traveling distance of U-street. It's gonna be fun. There will be readings. And shenanigans. Plus, I know a really great bar down the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment