Saturday, August 17, 2013

As Ridiculous as Two Men Chasing Butterflies


Julie Bozza has been writing for 30 years! Her Dad was an artist and she always admired his talent, but lacked the skills to pick up a brush herself. She "paints" with words to tell her stories. She tries to write a little every day even if it is only a sentence. Bozza reflects, "Like most of us, I’m juggling far too many balls, including (in my case) a husband, a home, a busy job, and other interests. The writing often happens late at night when all the other demands have finally quieted, even if it’s only during the last ten minutes before I fall into bed. Occasionally I gift myself with a few hours set aside during a weekend, in which I make writing the priority it really should be." 

Julie Bozza wrote this title after a reader on Goodreads kindly commented that she’d read anything she wrote, even a story about two men chasing butterflies. Bozza reflects, "She meant it as a particularly farfetched and unlikely notion, and she was right about that – but what she didn’t realise is that I never grew out of my teenage propensity to take on a challenge. After an initial chuckle, I began musing over how I might do that if I did, and wouldn’t Australia be a good setting for it, and so on. I immediately knew the story would have to be a quest." 

The story began to unfold. Butterfly Hunter is the tale of Aussie bush guide Dave Taylor who is charged with the simple assignment of guiding a lone Englishman in the quest of finding unknown species of butterflies. However Nicholas Goring is no ordinary tourist, his search is far from straightforward, and it’s starting to look as if the butterflies don’t want to be found. As Dave teaches Nicholas everything he needs to survive in the Outback he discovers that he too has quite a bit to learn – and that very often the best way to locate something really important is just not to want to find it.

Bozza says if readers could walk away with any one sentiment after reading this story " I suppose the obvious thing is Nicholas’s determination to seize the day and live his life to the fullest extent that he can. Life is indeed too short not to chase our dreams, whether in the form of blue butterflies or a hunky Aussie tour guide."



No comments:

Post a Comment