Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Poppy Dennison is here talking about Accidental Alpha


I would like you to story tell about what you get inspiration from and then specifically what inspired you to specifically write AA.

 

Hey everyone! I’d like to start by saying a big thank you to Mary for having me today. One of the questions authors are asked frequently is where we get our inspiration. For me, it comes from all around me. Sometimes I’ll see a photo that makes me want to tell a story. Others I’ll hear someone say something funny and want to find a way to use it in a book.

In the case of Accidental Alpha, my new release from Wilde City Press, inspiration came from another source altogether: my 18-month old nephew. See, a few months ago, the little stinker decided to be rotten and he bit the heck out of my sister’s neck. She was both shocked and horrified and had quite the bruise to show for it.

 Being the awesome sister I am, I laughed hysterically at her…while making sure to keep my own neck away from the little chomper. Fortunately, he grew out of that phase really quickly but the scenario stuck with me.  Since paranormal is my thing, I started to think of what would happen if a toddler happened to be a paranormal creature. Those what ifs started growing and growing….

 What if the toddler were a werewolf? What would happen then? Could a toddler turn a human into a werewolf? Oh, the possibilities. Since the idea of a toddler turning a big tough guy into a werewolf made me laugh, I figured my readers would get a kick out of it too!

 So what next? Having my main character turned into a werewolf just wasn’t quite enough for me. Where’s the fun in that? Oh no, I had to take it one step further. What if the toddler didn’t just turn him into a werewolf, but the Alpha.

 Oh my! I had a blast playing around with the idea. How could a toddler pass on alpha powers? What would a human suddenly do if they were turned into an alpha? How would the rest of the pack react? How would a human-turned-wolf deal with the whole “insta-mates” trope we paranormal readers tend to love so much?

 And that’s how it works for me! All of my novels have started with that basic “what if” scenario and developed into entire worlds with tons of characters. If the idea of Accidental Alpha makes you smile as much as I did while writing it, you can find it over at Wilde City Press.



Here's the blurb:
A quiet life. A break from the dangers of being a cop. Yep, Lex Tompkins has his future all worked out. That is, until fateor rather the stray toddler from the house across the streetbites those plans in the ass. Well, technically Lex’s neck. Suddenly, he’s transformed into the Alpha of the secret werewolf clan hiding in the perfect, out of the way neighborhood of Lex’s dreams.
Now Lex is the unlikely leader of a dysfunctional pack… except for Spencer Robinson, the one shifter Lex can’t seem to keep his paws off. Will Spencer be able to teach Lex how to embrace who he has truly become?

 

Bio:
A sassy southern lady, Poppy Dennison developed an obsession with things that go bump in the night in her early years after a barn door flew off its hinges and nearly squashed her. Convinced it was a ghost trying to get her attention, she started looking for other strange and mysterious happenings around her. Not satisfied with what she found, Poppy has traveled to Greece, Malaysia and England to find inspiration for the burly bears and silver foxes that melt her butter. Her love of paranormal continues to flourish nearly thirty years later, and she writes steamy love stories about the very things that used to keep her up all night. If her childhood ghost is lucky, maybe one day she’ll give him his own happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment