Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Ask Andrew - Loving the Ladies of MM


Dear Andrew

I wanted to know what your feelings are on so many women writing Gay romance and do you feel they do a credible job in depicting the male/male relationship as you know it from a successful and happy relationship yourself, and what do you think of having so many women buying and reading your work, do you think we are just voyeurs peeking into your world? I have read a few comments on FB dealing with gay authors being upset about this "trend" and I value your opinion.

Sincerely,
Cheryl

Dear Cheryl,

This is a question I get asked quite a lot.  First, I'd like to answer the part about women authors.  I read a lot of Gay romance and most of what I read is by my favorite women authors.  To be fair I also read work by male authors and I enjoy both very much.  I have been reading Gay Romance for 7 years now and early on it was easy to tell if the author was a man or a woman simply by the way certain things relating to sex and gay men were written.  (The whole chicks with dicks phenomenon)  That has changed drastically and its often impossible for me to tell any longer and quite frankly I don't care.  If the story is good, it doesn't matter the gender of the person who wrote it. 

Now as for women reading my work, I say hallelujah and send a hug to each and every one of you.  Women reading gay romance are what keep the genre viable.  Without the women readers gay romance wouldn't exist and that's a fact.  There were a number of early publishers of gay romance , decades ago.  They marketed to gay men and folded fairly quickly.  It wasn't until women discovered the genre and began reading and publishing that it really took off.

I would like to add one more thing.  Gay romance and the women authors and readers have helped spread the message of tolerance, understanding, and acceptance for gay people everywhere.  As a result DADT is gone, DOMA id dead, and marriage equality is quickly becoming the norm rather than the exception.    So I love my lady authors and my lady readers.  Write on!  Read on!  And I'll get off my soapbox.  :)

Hugs and Love
Andrew



Andrew's own marriage equality celebration.  October 26, 2013.   I love cake!  And the woman in the picture is my mom.  She looks startled, but I think she's hungry.... for cake!!!!







Ask Andrew is your chance to ask questions of a gay romance author.  The questions can be about the writing process in general, writing sex scenes, gay men, sex, characters in romance, characters having sex... okay you probably get the picture.    I promise to answer your questions as frankly and with as much humor as I possibly can.

So if you have a question, please send it to andrewgreybooks@comcast.net.  This is different from my usual email so your questions don't get lost.  I will answer one question a week.

Please remember this is meant to be all in fun.  (I was going to say good, clean fun, but who wants that.)    So send me your questions and let's see what mischief we can get into.

Visit Andrew on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/andrewgreybooks

Follow him on Twitter:  @andrewgreybooks

Visit Andrew's web site:  www,andrewgreybooks.com

7 comments:

  1. Thanks, Andrew, for supporting women writers and readers. I'm so glad I discovered M/M - I pretty much don't read anything else these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Q&A segment, Andrew. I don't know what'd I'd do without M/M romance....it's mostly all I've read for the past 4 years and I'm smitten with it and the fantastic authors, like yourself, who produce such wonderful stories for us to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it and stumbled upon it by total accident with a free book download on Amazon now to many books later here I am still going strong ang loving it. ❤️ Love your work kind Sir. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually tend to like the more female authors for the MM books. You and one other author are the only male authors I tend to read. I agree the writing styles are different between men and women. To me women writers are not as rough and dark as some other male writers. But as always MM romances are a shade of gray....their are different writing styles. It is not a black or white subject....its grey which is a mixture of each......

      Delete
  4. I first read m/m because 2 of my friends who are authors made their foray into the genre and I fell in love with their stories and characters and with the genre itself! Love is love is love and a beautiful story is amazing to read! And I'm not gonna lie....hot guys are just...well...HOT! ;) You are an amazing author and I love your books!!! Keep writing! Hugs!!!

    Alisa (Lee)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Andrew! We love you too. Thank you for your wonderful words. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the question and thank you for your answer.It was the question I was thinking of asking. <3

    ReplyDelete