Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Ask Andrew - From Idea to Publication


Dear Andrew

How long does it take from idea to publication?

M.I.

Dear M. I.

Thank you for your questions. I chose to answer this one now and hopefully I can get to the others eventually.  For me, the idea often comes when I'm working on another story.  I let it stew and mull it over as I'm working on a different story.  Sometimes, they come to me fully formed and other time the ideas take a while to settle into a story.  I do have a notebook and record the ideas so I don't lose them.  I will admit that some ideas don't take root while others hit me like a load of bricks. 

Once an idea really catches on, I form the basics of the story idea and then it waits for its turn to be told.  Depending on where I am in my writing, that can be one to two months.  Once I start work on a story, the actual writing takes me about three weeks or so to complete the initial draft.  Then I go on to another story and let that one clear from my mind.  Beta readers get a chance to look at it, and then I make revisions and begin the process of preparing the story for submission.  The post writing process takes about a month and then I submit.

Basically, the story I an writing right now is for March of 2015.  I like to be working eight to nine months ahead of publication.  I can tell you that this varies by author.  Some need pressure and work closer to deadline.  I like to avoid that if possible. 

Hugs and love always
Andrew


Ask Andrew is your chance to ask questions of a gay romance author.  The questions can be about the writing process in general, writing sex scenes, gay men, sex, characters in romance, characters having sex... okay you probably get the picture.    I promise to answer your questions as frankly and with as much humor as I possibly can.

So if you have a question, please send it to andrewgreybooks@comcast.net.  This is different from my usual email so your questions don't get lost.  I will answer one question a week.

Please remember this is meant to be all in fun.  (I was going to say good, clean fun, but who wants that.)    So send me your questions and let's see what mischief we can get into.

Visit Andrew on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/andrewgreybooks

Follow him on Twitter:  @andrewgreybooks

Visit Andrew's web site:  www,andrewgreybooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment