Thursday, July 3, 2014

New Stories, Free Stories, and Goodreads, oh, my!


Well, it's Thursday, right? So here I am. :P

It's been a very strange week for me, what with the craziness surrounding the whole SCOTUS decision re: Hobby Lobby's corporate freedom of religion (I think my brain just exploded a little from the sheer lack of logic inherent in the sentence). HOWEVER, I'm not going to talk about that. I mean, if you know me at all, or have read anything I've ever posted, chances are you already know what I think about SCOTUS's monumental screw-up, so... enough said.

Instead, I'm going to talk about the story I'm currently in edits on, which is for the M/M Romance Goodreads group's annual fiction-palooza. *grins*

For those who are unfamiliar, the M/M Romance group on Goodreads does this thing every year where members post pictures, along with a story idea or line of dialogue or something of that nature, and other members of the group "claim" a prompt. The claimant then writes a story using inspiration from the suggestions and the picture.

This is my first year participating, and I'm afraid my story ended up being longer than I had anticipated (shocking, I know *rolls eyes*). It clocks in right around 50K words. Haha!

 Now, I'll be completely honest and admit that there isn't a whole lot of on-page sex. There was just too much story to include loads of sweating and grunting, but I think there's an appropriate amount. I'm hopeful that it won't disappoint, in any case.

This story, titled On Edge, takes place almost entirely on a college campus in Nevada and is an enemies to friends to lovers book (which is basically what Anyta, who posted the prompt, asked for). I'm not going to lie. It was a bit more difficult to write this one than most of my other books. Mainly because I had a set of parameters to stay within. But that turned out to be a good thing. I often get carried away with subplots and secondary characters and all manner of things. There's a tiny bit of that in On Edge, but nowhere near my usual degree of tangenting. LOL

I don't have an official blurb at the moment, but let's just say that Chance and Shane hate each other, with good reason. When they're thrown together unexpectedly, that hatred flourishes in unusual ways, but slowly, over time, their feelings start to mellow and change, and they start to wonder, separately, whether the hate is really worth it... And whether maybe there's something more than that between them.

The secondary characters were just as much fun to write as Chance and Shane, and provide some of my favorite moments. They also lighten things up a bit (writing all that angsty hate and such was exhausting, Hahaha).

There are loads of authors, both published and not, taking part in this event -- I believe the final count is around 200 -- and all the stories are free to members of the M/M Romance group.

Now, I'm not saying you have to join, but really, why wouldn't you? :D

I'm tossing a link up here for those who might be interested, but I'm not entirely sure whether it'll work. If not, you can go to goodreads and click on the "groups" tab at the top of the page (you may have to sign up for a free account first), then enter M/M Romance in the search field. Scan down until you see it, and go on from there. That's if this link doesn't work:  https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/20149-m-m-romance
(you may need to copy & paste from this post, I'm not sure). The front page at Goodreads can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/

And that's all from me for today. Happy Thursday, everyone, and I'll post a notification when my story goes live, too! :)

~Tis

No comments:

Post a Comment