Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Ask Andrew - Glimpses of Life


Dear Andrew

In your books, there are often precise descriptions of professional activities: computer, pastry, woodcarving, conducting an orchestra and composing music, and of course ranching, to mention just a few. It's mostly not just the overall general stuff, but glimpses into very specific aspects or techniques. It certainly lends credibility to both your characters and your stories. Where or how do you get this info?
 
Madeleine
 
Dear Madeleine
 
That's a good question because sometimes I wonder that myself.  :)  Honestly, I'm a fifty plus year old man who has had the blessings of living a life with varied experiences and my own extraordinary cast of characters around me.  I do tend to pick subjects that I know something about.  As an example, while I have never conducted an orchestra, I know people who have and I spent many years singing in choirs.  My partner worked as a pastry chef for many years so all things cooking are bandied about in our house all time.  (This is one of our differences.  He's a foodie and loved to discuss everything he eats.  Me I eat so I can go on to other things.  Whenever I say that, he looks at me like I'm some pitiable fool and then goes right on talking.)  I once asked my eye doctor during my exam for information so I could explain why a character was blind.  That was a hoot.  :)
 
There is another tool that is the writer's friend, Google.  Research is sometimes the key to getting some of the details right.  However I have learned that sometimes it can lead you astray as well.  So I try to use multiple sources and check facts as well as possible.  Then once I have these facts I relate them to something I already know. 
 
I have to say that I use knowledge, research, and then mix them in my own imagination to come up with the story and how I'm going to use them in the story.   And lastly I have to give credit to my amazing editor.  Not only does she edit my words, but she also checks facts and has additional experts review my work to help make sure that I have my facts straight. 
 
Hugs and Love
Andrew
 
Ask Andrew is your chance to ask questions of a gay romance author.  The questions can be about the writing process in general, writing sex scenes, gay men, sex, characters in romance, characters having sex... okay you probably get the picture.    I promise to answer your questions as frankly and with as much humor as I possibly can.

So if you have a question, please send it to andrewgreybooks@comcast.net.  This is different from my usual email so your questions don't get lost.  I will answer one question a week.

Please remember this is meant to be all in fun.  (I was going to say good, clean fun, but who wants that.)    So send me your questions and let's see what mischief we can get into.

Visit Andrew on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/andrewgreybooks  and you can join Andrew's fan group All The Way With Andrew Grey.

Follow him on Twitter:  @andrewgreybooks

Visit Andrew's web site:  www,andrewgreybooks.com

2 comments:

  1. Loved the question I had wondered that myself and now I know. ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good q&a but I feel so sad for you lacking the 'correct' attitude and appreciation for food. Food should be savored loved and commented upon glowingly :)

    ReplyDelete