Saturday, October 25, 2014

Coming soon, new release: Safe in His Arms




Blurb: In the late-night quiet of the caravan park shower room, Lon Taylor washes away the filth of the Western Australian mines. He’s not looking for anyone, but when Casey offers, Lon doesn’t turn him down.

Welcoming the young man in his big, hairy arms, Lon provides a safety to Casey that he has never known, and Casey wants to stay forever. Still reeling from the breakup of his family years ago, Lon’s not sure he’s ready for the responsibility of the comfort and security Casey craves.

But perhaps Lon can risk opening his heart again and hoping for a brighter future. Casey has some pretty big skeletons in his past to deal with. And Lon wonders what Casey will do when he finds out how badly Lon failed at protecting the ones he loved eight years ago.


Coming soon from Dreamspinner Press, 28th November 2014 (Black Friday!)


Why did you write this story?

Some stories just beg to be written. Some stories come out of the blue. Some stories have been brewing for so long it is a relief to get them out. This story started off as something completely different to what it turned out to be.

You see, I’ll let you in a little secret. Authors get jealous – sometimes really jealous. We get jealous that we didn’t think up that great story line. We get jealous of that gorgeous cover. We get jealous that someone’s word count is sky high for the day. Oh, we cheer our author friends on and are genuinely happy for their successes, but sometime we mutter, lock ourselves away and try to come up with the next Twilight or Harry Potter-type super series.

For me, I was jealous of short stories writers. I mean, all my stories seem to come out at 60,000-70,000 words. That takes me months to write. I was jealous of the novella writers who had to write only 20,000 words. I had this crazy idea that I could write a series of short stories – about 5,000 words each, and get them on a website somewhere.

Therefore I set off to write a couple of short stories. They weren’t going to be romance necessarily, because I’m not a fan of insta-love – their eyes met across the room and they instantly knew that they were meant to be together. Blah! But falling in love in less than 5,000 words was a challenge I didn’t think I was up to.

So I was going for more of the erotic stuff. I had this idea to write a series of short-stories based on casual, sexual encounters. Hook ups. I even called my WIP Encounters.

I created this big guy – huge, muscled, tough looking, shaven head, goatee, tall, broad, dangerous looking. He’s big all over, including his… <cough> …thighs. I called him Lon and then I placed him in the shower rooms of a caravan park late at night. He’s been away working for 4 weeks. He’s tired. Exhausted. He just wants to crash into bed. He is all alone – no family, no boyfriend waiting for him.

Then he spots this cute, young thing who is in the deserted shower rooms late at night as well. This boy looks hardly old enough to be legal. He’s thin and scrawny. He looks like a surfer dude. He looks needy and frightened. He also drops to his knees and begs Lon to…. <cough> … Well, you’re just going to have to read it.

So after they’ve… <cough> (I really should get someone to look at this throat)… yeah, umm… <cough> … “hugged,” the young man, Casey, asks Lon if he could stay with him that night, because he doesn’t want to go home. Lon agrees and they walk off into the darkness.

Done! My short story was over.

But my mind wasn’t satisfied. It was a hopeful beginning for the two guys. Casey was going to go home with Lon, and the readers could just use their imagination that they would start something great. But then my brain started to tick over.

Why was Casey in the shower rooms at that time of night, staring at himself in the mirror?
Why did Lon live in a caravan park, and not a house?
What was Casey afraid of?
Why was Lon all alone? A man like him would surely have a special someone.


I thought to myself – just one more chapter. Just write another 2,000-3,000 words to find out what is behind Lon and Casey, and then we can finish.

Some 65,000+ words later, Lon and Casey found their happy ending. So I had to think up a new name for the story instead of Encounters. Because, in the end, there weren’t just one or two encounters. There was a whole relationship. There were lots of friends and family. There were background stories, tragedies and things that happened in the past that should not have happened to any person. There was laughter and arguments. There was sex and Christmas dinners. There were tears and misunderstandings.

I dithered for weeks over a name. But I kept coming back to Safe in His Arms. Because that is what Casey was. Safe. Secure. Home. And by the end of the story, Lon had come to see that he had a home too. A home in Casey’s arms. Safe. Secure. Loved. Together.

Enjoy.


How to contact Renae:




Twitter:  @renaekkaye

No comments:

Post a Comment