Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Ask Andrew - Audiobook Production


Dear Andrew,
 
I read your blog about audio narrators because a short while ago someone suggested to me that I get my books done in audio format for readers who were visually impaired.  I had always steered away from them because when I did some research I had felt that it was something that was really expensive to get done professionally.

In your opinion are there enough sales in the audio market for m/m books to justify the cost and could you give any tips or suggestions on how an author (who is a total newbie to the whole audio side of things) can go about doing this successfully.
 
Lisa
 
Dear Lisa
 
Its hard for me to answer specifically whether audiobook production is expensive because it depends on a number of factors, including what is expensive to you.  However to answer your first question, there can be enough sales for m/m books to justify the cost of creating audiobooks.  However, there are some things that each author should know.  First, the cost viability depends a great deal on the amount you pay your narrator.  So my first advice is to be careful and thoughtful when choosing your narrator and then negotiating the rate that they will charge.  I'm not saying to rake the narrator over the coals, but be careful in the amount you pay.  Choose a voice that you'd like to listen to for 6 to 8 hours.  But don't become so fixated on having one particular voice that you overpay to get it. 
 
The audiobook listener isn't necessarily the same customer as the e-book reader.  There is overlap, but audiobook listeners are a separate customer that you will need to market too.   This will take additional time and possibly expense on your part.  
 
As for producing your own audiobooks, its my suggestion is to do your research.  There are various tools and videos out there to help you through the process.  Audible has a set of tools for making your title available for audition by potential narrators and the ACX application will help you through the process, but that's just the mechanics.   Be sure to do your business research to make sure that this is viable for you. 
 
Hugs and Love
Andrew
 
Ask Andrew is your chance to ask questions of a gay romance author.  The questions can be about the writing process in general, writing sex scenes, gay men, sex, characters in romance, characters having sex... okay you probably get the picture.    I promise to answer your questions as frankly and with as much humor as I possibly can.

So if you have a question, please send it to andrewgreybooks@comcast.net.  This is different from my usual email so your questions don't get lost.  I will answer one question a week.

Please remember this is meant to be all in fun.  (I was going to say good, clean fun, but who wants that.)    So send me your questions and let's see what mischief we can get into.

Visit Andrew on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/andrewgreybooks  and you can join Andrew's fan group All The Way With Andrew Grey.

Follow him on Twitter:  @andrewgreybooks

Visit Andrew's web site:  www,andrewgreybooks.com

1 comment:

  1. I love Andrew's audio books! I listen to them at work.

    Louise x

    ReplyDelete