Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Ask Andrew - Secondary Characters


Dear Andrew

Has there been any characters that started off as supporting characters, but then developed into a more prominent character?
 
Dawn
 
Dear Dawn
 
Secondary Characters have morphed into more prominent characters on many occasions.  A good example is Cliff Laughton.  When I wrote Love Means... No Shame, Cliff was just Geoff's father who had passed away.  But even his absence and his loved ones reaction to it, touched me and I had to go back and write Love Means... Courage to tell Len and Cliff's story. 
 
Another secondary character that just had to have his story was Phillip form a Troubled Range.  He was a secondary character in two stories before he got his own.  When I started this manuscript, Phillip was actually starting to get pissed with me.  He'd been a bride's maid twice and it was his turn to be the center of attention. 
 
In an upcoming story, The Price, there is a secondary character, Ember.  Think calm, long dark hair, rich skin and deep eyes.  He's very zen and knows his place and what he wants.  At least he thinks he does.  Ember is getting his own story very soon because while he never raises his voice, he's starting to scream in my head. 
 
I almost never start out intending to write a series.  Usually I'll write the first book and then a secondary character will step up and start asking for his story.  But as you can tell, that tends to happen quite a bit. 
 
Hugs and Love
Andrew
 
Ask Andrew is your chance to ask questions of a gay romance author.  The questions can be about the writing process in general, writing sex scenes, gay men, sex, characters in romance, characters having sex... okay you probably get the picture.    I promise to answer your questions as frankly and with as much humor as I possibly can.

So if you have a question, please send it to
andrewgreybooks@comcast.net.  This is different from my usual email so your questions don't get lost.  I will answer one question a week.

Please remember this is meant to be all in fun.  (I was going to say good, clean fun, but who wants that.)    So send me your questions and let's see what mischief we can get into.

Visit Andrew on Facebook: 
https://www.facebook.com/andrewgreybooks  and you can join Andrew's fan group All The Way With Andrew Grey.

Follow him on Twitter:  @andrewgreybooks

Visit Andrew's web site:  www,andrewgreybooks.com
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Love those screamers!! Keep listening or get better ear muffs! We appreciate the listening ... they do to ... no more hoarse throats!

    ReplyDelete