Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Ask Andrew - Eureka! I'm a Writer


Dear Andrew

Has there been a defining moment in your career that made you think "Yes, I am a writer"?

Dawn

Dear Dawn

I think I had more than one of those and they all took me by surprise because they weren't the ones I thought I'd have.  There was of course the first acceptance letter, and the first royalty check.  Those I expected.  There's also the first time I hit the top of one of the sales lists.  That was cool, but I didn't have the big moment.  However I'm going to talk about the very first moment and that was a number of years ago a few months after I released Love Means... No Shame. 

I received a letter from a reader.  He told me a little about his and his partner's lives and they had been through a lot both in order to be together and then to stay together through the years.  But they had made it and had been happy.  They were an older couple and his partner had become very ill.  Eventually the disease took everything from him including his partner's ability to see.  So he wrote to tell me that he used to sit up and read to him.  My mind still goes to a quiet room with a single light and a soft voice reading to the one he loved.  (I'm sniffing as I write this)

He went on to say that his partner had passed away and the last story they shared together was Love Means... No Shame.  I cried my eyes out.  Then I showed Dominic the letter and he hugged me while I continued sniffling.  I had touched someone's life and my work had meant something special to them.  In that moment, I know I was a writer.

Ask Andrew is your chance to ask questions of a gay romance author.  The questions can be about the writing process in general, writing sex scenes, gay men, sex, characters in romance, characters having sex... okay you probably get the picture.    I promise to answer your questions as frankly and with as much humor as I possibly can.

So if you have a question, please send it to andrewgreybooks@comcast.net.  This is different from my usual email so your questions don't get lost.  I will answer one question a week.

Please remember this is meant to be all in fun.  (I was going to say good, clean fun, but who wants that.)    So send me your questions and let's see what mischief we can get into.

Visit Andrew on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/andrewgreybooks  and you can join Andrew's fan group All The Way With Andrew Grey.

Follow him on Twitter:  @andrewgreybooks

Visit Andrew's web site:  www,andrewgreybooks.com

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story! It´s so good to make a difference in someone´s life! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful! Your writing means a lot to so many of us, I hope you know that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a lovely story it's amazing how books can entertain as well help people through good and bad times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing that story. It made me tear up. The ability to touch people with your imagination and writing is such a wonderful gift. I hope you continue to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this tearful story & just know you touch so many lives with your great books! We are also lucky to be able to share you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the many reasons I love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that was beautiful (I'm crying....but it was definitely beautiful!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a beautiful story and memory to have. Made me tear up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was beautiful, thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete