Saturday, April 4, 2015

Happy Easter!


I have a confession that will sign my eternal damnation.  You see I’m a Christian.  Yeah – one of those ones who goes to church every Sunday and truly believes that we should love everyone in our lives.  I’m one of these people who can see past the hysteria and the phobias, and calmly believe that God made us how he wanted us.  I’m one of those people who are working from within the church to push for marriage equality and recognition.

But…

…(here is the damnation bit)…

… I don’t like Easter.

**GASP**

I know!  It’s like the main celebration of the church.  But Easter leaves me worn out.  I mean, every single year we kill Jesus.  Okay, so we don’t physically nail him to the cross and cause his death, but every year we go through the build-up of his being betrayed and his death.  It’s rather gory.

Now, even if you don’t believe in God and Christianity, there is still plenty of evidence that Jesus existed.  You may not believe he was the Son of God, but you have to concede the possibility that he was a person who once lived.  And if you can’t do that, then you still have to realise that crucifixion happened in our past.  Every lead-up to Easter we hear the details.  It’s terrible.  I hate it.  To think that we can do this sort of horror to our fellow humans.

So every Easter I’m depressed and mopey, hating life.  Then we have the overwhelming sorrow of Jesus dying (again!) and having to apologise (again!) to Jesus for letting this happen.  And on Good Friday, I leave church hating the world.  Then, just two short days later, I have to go to church again and CELEBRATE!  Jesus is risen!

Hallelujah!

Talk about feeling bi-polar.

SO, why is it a HAPPY Easter this year for me?  Because I’m on HOLIDAY!  Vacation.  Time off.  Out bush.  Done a runner.  I am FREEEEE!

I have a great excuse to ignore church this weekend.  Because I am sitting on a beach, wearing very little and having a great time!  This year, Easter is going to be about chocolate and keeping cool.
And just in case you are saying, “Yeah – but what does this have to do about your writing?” – well, I’m also gathering great ideas to set a story in this town – because that would be a great change from Perth, wouldn’t it?

For the next week I’m going to be doing nothing more strenuous than swimming or fishing.  There will be a visit to the croc park, some bbqs on the beach and if I feel really energetic, I may build a sandcastle.  But my little author brain will be snapping pictures for future books…

I hope you have a wonderful Easter.  Don’t eat too many chocolates.

Cheers,

Renae

How to contact Renae:
Twitter:  @renaekkaye
Instagram:  renaekayeauthor

No comments:

Post a Comment