Monday, April 27, 2015

I Tried it at Home - 3 Ingredient Ice Cream by Cardeno C.


Happy Monday! Today I share the results of my latest I Tried it at Home effort. This is where I follow the suggestions in a video and see if they work in real life. Today's video came from Jayden Brooks and it's coffee ice cream made with no machine and three ingredients: cream, sweetened condensed milk, and coffee. 

Now, coffee is awesome because coffee but if I want coffee ice cream, I can get it at the store. What was more intriguing to me was making an ice cream I can't buy. I love tea, especially earl grey, and when I'm drinking earl grey, I often add milk to it so ... You see where I'm going, right? Earl grey flavor, milky flavor ... Earl grey ice cream!

Here's how this played out.

1. The first step was steeping the tea. In the video, instant coffee is made with a tiny bit of water so it's super strong. I can't really do that with tea because it doesn't disintegrate in the same way so I thought I'd do five teabags (usually enough for a huge pitcher) in a small jar and then use the tea I squeeze from the bags themselves because it's the most concentrated.

1.1 Tea


 1.2 Jar
 1.3 Tea in Jar
 1.4 Water in Jar with Tea


2. The second step was gathering the other two ingredients. As you can see if you watched the video, it's metric. I did the conversions but the amount of cream he used was a tad more than the small cream container at the store. I decided I'd just use the one container because the difference isn't much. 
 3. Once the tea had steeped, I had my three ingredients ready: tea, cream, sweetened condensed milk 
 4. I put the cream and half a can of the milk into a bowl and then I squeezed out the five teabags into it.
 5. I mixed that together and took a little taste - no discernible earl grey flavor. So, I slowly added more of the tea, eventually emptying the whole jar. It finally tasted like early grey. This is what it looked like post mixing. 

 6. I had leftover containers from store-bought ice cream so I poured the mixture into them.


 7. I put the ice cream in the freezer for several hours, took it out, and this is what I had. It's hard to tell from the picture, but this is seriously hard ice cream. I left it on the counter for a good twenty minutes before I could scoop it. 
 8. Once scooped, it looked ice creamy. I was hopeful. I took a bite and was a little confused by the texture. On the one hand, it was creamy. But it was also sort of slushy in a way ice cream isn't. I think maybe this was due to the large amount of tea and maybe it wouldn't happen if you followed the video and did coffee. There was also an odd sort of after taste/texture to this, which I attribute to the condensed milk.


9. With all that said, it was still pretty darn yummy. You can see my after picture below - all gone! I would suggest trying this for yourself and seeing what you think. You can definitely change out the flavor, but if you go with something more watery like I did, prepare for a slush factor. I'm saying the slush means it's low fat to make myself feel better.

If you try this at home, let me know how it works for you. And please send over any other videos of ideas you want me to try. Have a super week.

CC
www.cardenoc.com

1 comment: