Saturday, June 13, 2015

An introduction to my new novel


I hate some reviewers.

Hang on, let me reconsider that…. **considers** Nope.  Still hate them.

Oh, not for the reason you’re thinking.  Of course I enjoy five star reviews on my work more than I enjoy one star reviews.  Be assured, I do read the critical reviews too. I often read reviews to work out if people got the character.  Did I do a good job in describing him/her?  So I often read the bad reviews to see why people didn’t enjoy my work. 

But do you know what I HATE?  What I LOATHE?  What I SCREAM in frustration at?  I DESPISE when a reviewer says to me, “Now what about xxx’s story?”

**tears hair out**  Noooo - don't put that idea into my head!

When I write a story, I have a very narrow view.  I know that I shouldn’t, but I just write about this one couple, not thinking about anything other than their story.  So the first time someone reviewing Loving Jay commented, “I hope they get a sequel,” I froze in surprise.  No.  This is their story.  See – 200 pages and then you just have to use your imagination.

Then, my brain started firing.  If I was to write a sequel, what would happen?

When a reviewer said to me about The Shearing Gun, “Are we going to get Mickey Ryan’s story?” I frowned.  Mickey didn’t have a story, did he….  *brain explosion*  Oh, yeah.  Mickey has a story after all.

So now you know why I hate some reviewers.  They give me ideas and make me want to write stories that will have me until the end of 2017 still writing…

Which is how my new novel, You Are the Reason came about. 

In 2013 I wrote The Blinding Light.  At that stage I had submitted Loving Jay to Dreamspinner for appraisal, and was firmly expecting a “no” response from them.  I wrote The Blinding Light because I wanted to be an author, and I knew I had to practice putting a story together, but I never thought it would be good enough for publication.

One of the first reviews of this book said, “I love it! Now I want Davo’s story.”

I was perplexed.  Davo?  He was just a secondary character that was a friend of Jake.  I liked Davo, because everyone has a friend like him.  He’s blunt and can be very crude at times.  He’s the type of guy you roll your eyes at and think, One day he’ll grow up.  

I looked back at what I had written about Davo, and tried to see if he was redeemable.

From page 7:  My good mate Davo is a top, 100 percent of the time with no exceptions to the rule. Ever. He has a standard pickup line: “Are you a bottom? Yes? Hi, I’m Dave.”
When I read this, I was horrified.  The guy was an idiot.  Who goes around with lines like that?  Davo really had no class at all.

Maybe he was redeemable further down.

From page 99:  “Davo, have you ever been with a straight guy before?”
My mate scratched his beard and considered the question. “I don’t really know. It’s not like I spend time with them. I ask them if they want to fuck and if they answer yes, then I do it. I don’t go around asking guys if they’re straight or queer. You know me, Jake. I’m looking for the quick fuck, not the happily-ever-after, complete with matching rings.”
I resisted the temptation to roll my eyes at the truth of that statement. Davo’s fucks were sometimes quicker than the time it actually took you to say the sentence “I’m looking for a quick fuck.”
I sobbed. Nope. Who could write a story with this guy as the main romantic lead?

From page 99, Jake asked Davo:  “So do you think that straight guys can get turned on by gay guys? Does it matter if the hand on your dick is male or female?”
Davo leaned against the wall and gave it serious thought. “To me it doesn’t matter if I’m desperate. I’ve had BJs from women before. You just close your eyes, you know?”
“You do?” I was dumbfounded. I’d never realized Davo had been with a girl before.
“You don’t?”
“No!”
“Oh.” Davo was perplexed. “It’s not all that different in the dark.”
Oh no, no, no.  Davo was worse than an idiot.  He was a dick as well.  I mean, what sort of guy talked about women like that?  What sort of guy couldn’t tell the difference between a man and a woman in the dark…


**brain explosion**


Renae: Oh, no.  No, no, no.  I cannot write a story like that.
Renae’s brain:  Renae, I’d like you to meet your new character – Lee.
Lee:  Hi, Renae!
Davo:  Who’s that?
Lee:  I’m Lee, and I’m your new romantic interest.
Davo:  But you’re wearing a dress.
Lee:  I know.  Do you like it?
Davo:  I don’t like anyone who is too girly.
Lee:  What’s wrong with being girly?
Davo:  I don’t want to be one of those gays.
Lee:  You mean one of those gays who likes to slip into a dress every now and then?
Davo:  Yeah, one of them.
Lee:  So you don’t want to see what I have on under my skirt?
Davo:  **hesitates**
Renae:  **panicking**  No, no, no.  Lee – just go away.  Please?  Davo is a dick and you don’t want to get mixed up with him.
Lee:  But he’s wonderful!  I think I’m in love with him already.
Renae:  **screeching**  But he’s a dick!
Lee:  So?  I like dicks.
Renae:  No.  You don’t want Davo.
Lee:  **pouts** I do. 
Renae:  **huffs** Now you’re being a dick.
Lee:  You know, despite the dress, I do have a dick, so it’s perfectly reasonable for me to be one as well.
Renae:  I know you have a dick.  I’m the one who created you and your dress.  I’m the one who decided whether you were tucked or untucked under that dress.  I know all about you.  But the problem is that Davo doesn’t know you have a dick.  He thinks you’re a girl.
Lee:  That’s okay.  I’ll take him anyway.
Renae:  **breaks down sobbing**  No, Lee.  Please don’t take him anywhere.  PLEASE!  No!!  Don’t go home with him!  ....
...
Dammit.
**opens up a new Word document**
**begins typing** 
An introduction to Davo
When I was eleven years old, I worked out what it was to be gay.  

You Are the Reason, is scheduled to release from Dreamspinner Press on the 7th of August, 2015.  Be watching for the cover reveal coming soon.

How to contact Renae:
Twitter:  @renaekkaye
Instagram:  renaekayeauthor




4 comments:

  1. I absolutely cant fricking wait.. Love your books. Love the characters, love the humor. Loving Jay was the first one I read, then each one as they came along. I love to see stories about minor characters from previous books, especially if we get a glimpse of the life of the original couple as well.
    So, sorry you have so many awesome characters running around, waving their arms trying to get your attention, but I have to hope that every single one grabs hold and refuses to let go until they each get to have their story shared. Because, obviously, the stories are already there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! I'd love to get ALL the stories out there. Alas, God only put 24 hours in a day. I need to find more hours. I hope you enjoy, and hopefully I can get this next spin-off finished very soon.

      Delete
  2. Ah, man. I need that, I need that now. You authors, going around writing things we want to read. Gosh darn it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sorry. It's our revenge against all the readers saying, "I need THIS story now. Go write." So we write as good little authors, but get our revenge by making you wait. *wink* LOL. Gosh darn it, sorry. *grin*

      Delete