Thursday, June 25, 2015

Covers


Covers are one of the scariest, yet most exciting parts of writing a book. Before writing my first book I only thought covers would be exciting. What's there to be scared about? The thing is, as much as we say "don't judge a book by it's cover" I think it's something people automatically do. Maybe they don't refuse to read a book because of the cover, but a beautiful cover can draw readers in. It's the first impression. A cover is often what gets new readers to check out a blurb, so there is a lot of pressure to pick the perfect cover. I truly believe the cover for COLLIDE helped get readers to take a chance on me.

I go through almost a panic when it's time to start choosing images for a cover. I'm a ball of emotions, ready to dive in and find the perfect image, but worried I won't. I'm going through that right now as we start to work on the cover for CROSSROADS. What if I can't find the perfect couple? The perfect model? What if I pick the wrong image? What if there is more than one that I really, really love?

The good thing is, I feel very lucky that I work with a really great photographer and cover artist. I love their work and know they want the best cover for me. Jackson Photografix has been the photographer who shot every cover I've had, and we understand each other's style. It doesn't hurt that he shoots beautiful images that I get to spend hours and hours looking through :)

So my question for you is, what do you look for in a cover? Is there something specific that draws your eye? Do you like people on the cover, or would you rather draw your own visual in your head? Has a good cover ever gotten you to take a chance on a new author?

Can't wait to share the cover for CROSSROADS soon!

4 comments:

  1. I like people on the cover. It helps visualize as you read the story. What I don't like is when the people don't match the descriptions inside, I.e. the cover shows a black-haired man but neither main character is described with dark hair. Covers have made me read the blurb and then reviews (e-book sites) and that has then swayed me to buy a book. I have loved your covers and your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like people, even if we don't see full faces. Covers suggest a mood or emotion that can definitely grab my attention. I don't go into a story with a cover character locked into my head, it's more a suggestion that I use to build my own picture. How they relate to each other in the picture, how they look at each other is more of an influence than actual appearance. I have passed over books at first because of a cover that didn't appeal, then gone back later and found that I love the book. I think that covers are really powerful in catching readers - but the author's reputation, or recommendation by another reader are also very influential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to confess I'm probably one of those readers who kind of look at the cover first.Because in a way a great cover (which doesn't look like the author created it in a matter of 5 minutes herself/himself) suggests that what's in the book is just as great. I know you really shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.. I don't think that all books with pretty covers are great and those with not so pretty covers all suck.. It's just that there are so many books out there and there has to be a "deciding factor" for me to look at a book twice. And the first thing you see of a book (most of the time, not always) is the cover and the title. I can't say what type of cover draws me in, it just has to have something special. Something that catches my eye and makes me want to read the blurb.

    For example: When I saw the cover for Strange Bedfellows by Cardeno C I wanted to read the book immediately. For me it was a mix about the coverart itself and the title of the book. It made me curious. Other covers I loved were Return On Investment by Aleksandr Voinov. I saw it and wanted to know what the guys story was. What happened to him.
    The Anatomy of Perception by AJ Rose. That one I feel immeadiately in love. There was just something about it that wouldn't let me go. It looked so beautiful yet kind of haunting. And then there are those covers like Only Love by Garrett Leigh or This Is Not A Love Story by Suki Fleet. There are no faces on them, but somehow the reader gets a "feeling" for the book. What it's about, whether it's a fluffy story or an angsty one. And that is really helpful and makes it easier to decide whether the reader is in the mood for that kind of story or not.

    Now I've written so much and haven't really answered the questions. Sorry!
    I like people on the cover, but I think I go more for the artsy type, like drawings or paintings as coverart (like the cover for Family of Lies: Sebastian/Seasons of Love series by BG Thomas)
    And has a good cover ever gotten me to take a chance on a new author? Yes! Absolutely!
    Before Return on Investment I hadn't read anything from Aleksandr Voinov. I didn't really know what the book was about before I bought it but I fell in love with the cover and now I have read quite a few of his books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the typos. I've been up since 5am this morning (it's now 11pm) and I'm really tired but couldn't not reply to this post. So please excuse the typos. :)

      Delete