Thursday, June 11, 2015

Let's talk tropes


Author Felice Stevens brought up the topic of tropes on Facebook the other day. It's one I've thought about before as well. There's that part of me who wants to step out of different tropes when writing and reading, but then...I still love them too. I think it all depends on how they're written and how much I fall in love with the characters, if I'm able to enjoy a trope-centered book, or if it feels like something I've read before.

I have to admit, I'm a HUGE fan of friends to lovers. It's my favorite and think it always will be. There's something special about two people who know each other on that friendship level, who've loved each other on a friendship level and maybe even know each other better than anyone else, and seeing them navigate falling in love with each other. Cooper and Noah's friendship and history were some of my favorite parts of COLLIDE to write.

Fake relationships can be fun, but tricky to pull off I think. I've read a few I really enjoyed.

I'm curious what some of your favorite tropes to read are? Friends to lovers? Enemies to lovers? Fake relationships or mistaken identity? What other tropes to you like? Also, what are some tropes you're getting tired of reading?

1 comment:

  1. I'm a big fan of insta-love (because that happened to me in real life, still married 20 years later), disabled MCs (gotta love people overcoming adversities) and a well written gfy (love the idea of people falling inlove with people and not genders). :-)

    ReplyDelete