Saturday, August 29, 2015

Thank you for reviewers – by Renae Kaye


My good friend BG Thomas has been giving us daily update of the things he is thankful for in life.  It’s been an interesting journey, and I like the idea.  Each day we should stop for a moment and name one thing we are thankful for.  Whether we thank whatever God we follow for the blessing, or just be thankful in general is irrelevant.  It is the acknowledgement that this thing/person/event is special to us.

Today I caught up on printing off reviews for my work.  I print them off and file them as I’ve seen websites taken down before, and I don’t want to lose those words written about my work. 

I am astounded and overwhelmed with pride at the number of reviews there are.  A mere 18 months ago, I was hoping for at least four for Loving Jay.  Today I’ve had to buy another file to fit them all in.  I’m ever-so-grateful for the people who take the time to read my work, then publish a summary of the story and their feelings on the book.

I know some authors who say they never read their reviews.  Some are lying, some are not.  I never understand this.  I read my reviews.  I like to find out the bits that work and the bits that don’t.  I like to be reassured that the book is hitting the right notes.  I try to keep away from negativity, but enjoy seeing my work assessed by people who know what they’re talking about.  It’s not about the rating, it’s about the emotions the reading of the book produced. 

It astounds me that some reviewers can view a piece of work and drill down to the very core of it in just a few paragraphs.  It’s a skill I don’t have, and I’m in awe of.  So tonight, after reading some thoughtful and well constructed reviews, I have to say:

Thank you for Reviewers

Some of the comments about You Are the Reason that I have loved:

In lesser hands I think Dave could easily have come across like a total jerk, but Kaye does a great job rooting his insecurities in real reasons we can understand and sympathize with. --- Joyfully Jay

Lee and Davo have layers to their personalities, as well as depth that makes them surprising in places in the story where we might expect otherwise. --- Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words

This is a much needed book.  We talk about diversity, and diversity comes in so many ways. [...]  Everyone needs a voice, their story to be told and I feel like this novel was it. --- The Written Voice of Is

Read this book, it’s cleverly written, it’s adorable, it’s hilarious and fun, the sex scenes put the sun to shame and it’s all packed in within 220 pages. --- Three Books Over the Rainbow

I’m really glad the author wrote Davo’s story. [...] This is one girl who, as always, [I] can’t wait to see what she writes next. ---On Top Down Under Book Reviews

I loved the way this story was a mix of established gay man, yet had a vulnerable almost “coming out” quality at times as Dave finally opened his eyes and surveyed the world around him through unfiltered glasses. --- Prism Book Alliance

Am I a Renae Kaye fan? I’m not going to lie to you, I’m a few steps away from tattooing her name on my butt. [...] Lee was written as a perfect example that femme doesn’t equal weak. I think Lee is one of the strongest characters that this author has written us so far. --- Love Bytes Reviews

I only have one question – do I get to see the tattoo when it’s finished?

How to contact Renae:
Twitter:  @renaekkaye



No comments:

Post a Comment