Friday, August 7, 2015

What's Your Favorite Part? by Felice Stevens


Nope, I'm not talking about parts of a chicken, like breast or thigh. I'm talking about Romance books. When I was purely a reader, my favorite part of reading my historical romance novel was that first kiss. And yes, I loved the impossibly obnoxious wealthy Duke or Marquess falling for the innocent but oh so smart and feisty heroine. 

You have to admit that cover to fabulous!!  Brings back all my memories of the wonderful world of romance. I left my romance roots behind when I went to law school and had no time to read anything but case law, but when I returned, and began reading gay romance, I found my tastes hadn't changed all that much. I still love reading about that first kiss, only now it was between two guys. 


And now I get to write it and its all good, all the time. There's something about that split second when they look into each others eyes and know they're going for it that makes for great reading and writing. I want that first kiss to sizzle and show how much these two want each other, no matter what else is going on in their lives.

What I love doing when I write my characters is pairing opposites.  Alex, the life of the party has it bad for the sweet and shy Rafe, only he doesn't want to admit it. He shows it though when they have their first kiss. I've been told by many that the first kiss between Alex and Rafe in One Step Further is hot as hell, truly fan-worthy. I love to hear that; its what I strive for.

With my new book, Beyond the Surface, coming out August 17th, Nick and Julian fooled around in high school, yet Nick was too fearful of being caught and pushed Julian away. It wasn't until years later that they met again and had many, many issues to work through. 

That didn't stop their first, reunited kiss from being just as, or even more intense and steamy-worthy as any I've written before.  

So tell me: What is your favorite part of a romance? 

You can find me chatting it up on FB at: https://www.facebook.com/felice.stevens.1

Join in the fun at Felice's Fierce Fans where I post exclusive contents, do ARC giveaways and general craziness occurs.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1449289332021166/

4 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of the "first meet" scene. What did they think of each other? Hate at first sight? OMG, I can't believe they let this person in the door? My arousal just went from zero to 100 in 0.4 seconds?

    I often plan my whole book around that first impression.

    (And PS - welcome to Cafe Risque. I've been so busy I didn't get to welcome you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I love it!!
      And thank you and Happy Release Day to you!!

      Delete
  2. I love those first time meeting each other scenes. What kind of sparks are going to fly? Hot for each other right off the bat, hate each other? Whatever the reaction is sets the tone for the rest of the book.

    Love your Beyond the Surface cover, Felice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sets the whole tone for the book, I know. :) You've got some pretty hot ones yourself, Sandy
      Thanks-I do love that cover

      Delete