Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Why Pen Names by Andrew Grey and Dirk Greyson


Pen names have a number of uses and the reasons for mine have changed over time.  I must state that Andrew is a pen name.  When I first started writing I intended to write under my own name.  However for privacy reasons which included the fact that I still worked for a large corporation, I determined that I needed to keep my writing separate from other parts of my life.  It also made it easier when I had to disclose my outside business interest at work.    The other privacy concern revolved around some sort of trouble or harassment around my family.  Which I am happy to say has never materialized  :)  Sometimes I'm happy when I'm wrong. 

Since I have quit the evil day job, my pen name has very much taken on a life of his own.  I spend much of my day now in Andrew's world, writing and being Andrew online.  And that's wonderful!  So last year when I decided I wanted to write something different and try some suspense and paranormal stories, I created Dirk Greyson.  He's my alternate pen name who will write those kinds of stories.    I have not kept Dirk a secret in fact I announced the alternate pen name as Andrew on Facebook.  The reason for Dirk is simply branding.  The Dirk stories are a little hotter, definitely snarkier, and tend to be darker and I wanted readers to know what they were getting when they picked up a book.

Dirk's first story Day and Knight came out in May and his second, a paranormal shifter story set near Yellowstone, Challenge the Darkness, will release August 31.  I hope you all come to love Dirk as much as Andrew.

BTW - When I created Dirk, I also needed an avatar and Amy Lane's daughter made this one for me.   I love that she sort of made him look like me.  (Though I don't usually carry a gun)


I love the drawing!!!!!


Releasing August 31 from Dreamspinner Press   http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=6793

 
 
 
 
Andrew grew up in western Michigan with a father who loved to tell stories and a mother who loved to read them. Since then he has lived throughout the country and traveled throughout the world. He has a master’s degree from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and works in information systems for a large corporation.Andrew’s hobbies include collecting antiques, gardening, and leaving his dirty dishes anywhere but in the sink (particularly when writing)  He considers himself blessed with an accepting family, fantastic friends, and the world’s most supportive and loving partner. Andrew currently lives in beautiful, historic Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

Email him at:  andrewgrey@comcast.net

His web site is:  www.andrewgreybooks.com

Facebook:  www.facebook.com/andrewgreybooks

Twitter:  @andrewgreybooks

 

4 comments:

  1. I too have a second pen name - a female one. I did it to be able to write less "raw" gay erotica. The new name writes about hetero and bi sexual escapades. Unfortunately, sales under both names were slow and I had to reduce the number of publications due to the cost of covers. I found some pre-made cover sites and was able to return to the high output under Kenn Dahll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new Dirk Greyson series ... anything with action & suspense. Not much on paranormal ... but will get your new one since Dirk is on auto buy just like Andrew is!Love from Alaska

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting blog. Thank you for a thoughtful and thorough discussion have reasons to use a pen name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so glad I'm not the only person paranoid about writing under my real name! Looking forward to Day and Knight.

    ReplyDelete