Friday, September 4, 2015

Burnout by Felice Stevens


     It may sounds like a strange topic for someone who has only been published for one year, but in that years I've published seven books. I see the printed words and even I can't believe it. In every book I've poured my heart into making the characters come alive and have meaning. 
     I never claim to write stories that everyone is going to like; some call them too sweet or sappy, but I try and make sure they are well written, well-edited and I'm thrilled many people seem to have enjoyed them. I get wonderful emails from readers who tell me that either a story-line or a particular character has touched them in a certain way.
     But lately I'm pushing myself to keep up with some personal goal I have in my own mind of what I need to do to be successful. Write faster; stay in the minds of the readers and don't get lost in the glut of books that seem to increase every day. When you don't have a publisher to put your books in the readers' faces, all the marketing and promotion is on you and it gets overwhelming.



     Something has to give.

     For me now, it has to be the the writing, so I'm slowing down. I have to make sure my books don't suffer in quality and that I still enjoy writing them. I don't ever want it to feel like a chore or an obligation. Some people might not care, and that's fine, but this is for the readers who ask me when is Zach's book is coming and what about giving Barton a book? What about the bartender Max from One Step Further? Will I ever get to write John's story from Rescued?

     I want to. I plan to. But right now I'm on vacation with my husband and daughter and I haven't written anything in a few days and it's fine. I'm spending time with them and loving it. I'm not worrying if the book is going to get written. It will, just maybe not a quickly as I once thought.

     I am lucky in that I am a fast writer. I'm not going to get into a discussion over fast vs. slow writers; everyone is different. But I know fast or slow I"ve only been doing this for a year and I want to keep doing it for many more, so I'll still be around as much as ever, just maybe not with a new book as often as you've come to expect.




1 comment:

  1. I can relate to your quandary here. I sometimes think that trying to get that next novel out only brings suffering to the storyline, but in a world where some writers churn out books with intensity I sometimes feel left behind. I need to plan more, to enjoy life and bring that to the pages I write. I need to forget about sales and rankings and just learn to relax.

    ReplyDelete