Monday, November 30, 2015

I Tried it at Home - Cooking Pasta by Cardeno C.


Happy Monday! Today I'm sharing my experience trying another kitchen hack. I saw this video with a faster way to boil pasta. I've  never had issues with my regular pasta boiling technique but this looked fun so I decided to to give it a go. Here's how it went.

Step 1. Put the pasta onto a frying pan. 
Step 2. Pour in just enough water to cover the pasta & add salt. 

Step 3. Turn the water on high and boil for 15 minutes, turning pasta occasionally. 

Result: This method worked well to cook the noodles and it was faster than boiling water in a pot. The downside was that with the shallow frying pan, water splattered onto the stove every time I turned the noodles. I wonder if this would work better in a flat pan with higher sides. I might try that next time.


My tweaks: I was running late with dinner so the liquid from the tomatoes in my pasta sauce wasn't done cooking down yet. 

I decided that I could move the process along by adding the pasta into the sauce for the last 5 minutes of the pasta cooking time, figuring the starch from the pasta would absorb the water and maybe the noddles would take on some of the sauce flavor.

I realized fairly quickly that I was going to encounter a problem: the saucepan wasn't big enough to hold the sauce and the noodles.

But I wanted to limit the number of dirty dishes I created in this cooking process, so I powered through.

Once I emptied the frying pan of the noddles, I drained the water and then poured the pasta into the pan. I put the heat on low and simmered until the sauce thickened, stirring the pasta occasionally. 

End result: Yummy pasta, minimal time & dirty dishes. I call this one a success!

Have a terrific week & as a reminder, I have the box set of my seven Home novels on sale for $9.99 until Wednesday.

CC
www.cardenoc.com

4 comments:

  1. I've used that method of cooking pasta, using a work. It worked well.
    Now it's time to start reading that boxed set. I bought it the other day but I've been sick since Saturday so it's been waiting for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always great to find a more efficient way to make something. I hope you're feeling better and happy reading. :)

      Delete
  2. I love these blog posts. I always learn something new. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete