Monday, November 9, 2015

Recipe: Chocolate & Peanut Butter Brownies by Cardeno C.


Happy Monday! Today I have a sweet, yummy recipe to share. A couple of weeks ago, I was scrolling through Facebook when I saw Cherri H. post a link to a brownie recipe. Dinner was in the oven so I was really hungry and I clicked. When I shared my "after" pictures, Jayden Brooks suggested I blog the recipe so here we are. (Thanks, Jayden!)

The blogger called the brownies "Buckeye Brownies" and she probably explained the reason why in the blog, but I'll be honest here and tell you that I was not patient enough to read it so I scrolled all the way to the end for the recipe. Also, I've decided to rename the brownies "Chocolate & Peanut Butter Brownies" for three reasons. 

  1. First, that name doesn't require an explanation so we have no recipe delay when using it. 
  2. Second, the name very accurately describes the brownies and as someone who spends hours writing a blurb to accurately describe my books, I feel like the item description should match the item. 
  3. Third, and possibly the most important reason, my high school geography teacher went to Ohio State and he was a huge fan so when we did our test on countries, states, and capitals, we got extra credit if we put "Buckeyes" after "Ohio". My memory of those horrible memorization tests is much clearer than my memory of where anything is but so help me to this day, when someone says "Ohio" I think "Buckeyes". It's Pavlov's fricken' dogs and associating anything with it will end in bad memories. These brownies deserve better.
Now that I've written a too-long intro after commenting about too long intros, here's the recipe.

Ingredients


  • Brownies: 

    • 1 Box of Brownie Mix

  • Peanut Butter Cream:

    • ½ Cup Unsalted Butter, softened but not melted
    • 1 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
    • 2½ cups Powdered Sugar
    • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
    • 2 TBSP Milk
    • 1 pinch Salt

  • Glaze:

    • 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
    • ¼ cup Creamy Peanut Butter

Instructions

  • Brownies: 

    • Bake per box directions. 
    • Size Tip: I used a deep glass pan (square) for this because the metal one I normally use for brownies gets full with just the brownies and this recipe requires room at the top for more yummy goodness. (Bonus: The glass pan is a pyrex storage pan so there's a handy lid good for storing leftover brownies.) Next time I make these, I'm going to try a 9 by 12 glass pan (lasagna pan) in order to spread these out and make them thinner.
    • No Patience Tip: These brownies are supposed to cool before the next step but I was rushing toward the finish line so I wanted to do expedited cooling. The freezer is an obvious way to make that happen but putting a hot pan in my freezer seemed fatal for my ice cream so I came up with an alternative. I filled a glass 9x12 pan with ice and put the brownie pan on top of the ice right out of the oven. I then walked my puppy and by the time I returned, the brownies were cool enough to go into the freezer (still in the ice/water filled 9x12 pan). About five minutes in the freezer and I was good to go.

  • Peanut Butter Cream: (I made this while the brownies baked.)

    • Beat butter and peanut butter with an electric mixer until fully integrated. 
    • Add powdered sugar a bit at a time so it doesn't poof all over your kitchen. (Note: I wasn't patient enough for that so there was some poofing in my kitchen.) 
    • Beat in vanilla, milk, and salt until creamy.
    • Spread the PB cream evenly over the cooled brownies being careful not to get brownie crumbs mixed into it.

  • Glaze: (I made these while the brownies were in the freezer.)

    • Melt the chocolate chips & peanut butter together and stir until smooth. I used a double boiler but I suspect the microwave method would work if you were super duper careful.  
    • Cool the chocolate/peanut butter mixture for a few minutes and then pour over the PB cream. 
    • Smooth the glaze evenly using a rubber spatula.
    • Chill the brownies. (The recipe said an hour. I did about five to ten minutes in the freezer.)



Mmm, mmm, good!

Have a terrific week and happy baking!

CC

13 comments:

  1. They look yummy. I had to put this through UK translation (icing sugar, dark choc chips, I think creamy PB must be what we call smooth and found a webpage for what weight a cup is http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/531168/cups-to-grams-converter). So now I'm baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
    2. Delicious - my youngest brother has nearly finished all of them already after dropping by! Wish I had his 19year old metabolism back, 34 shows everything!

      Delete
    3. You can watch him and have 2nd hand enjoyment. Oh, who am I kidding, eat more! :)

      Delete
  2. Those look fabulous. I am gonna make and devour them. I LOL'd reading your step-by-step. Loved the impatience and the poofing. 😄

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect recipe, hilarious delivery. Must bake now...
    Darn I only have super chunky Skippy. Would it work with chunky PB?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would! I bet the crunch would be nice. Report back!

      Delete
    2. Although I wonder how you'll succeed with the beating in the butter part....

      Delete
  4. Agreed *wipes splatter off hair*

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Buvkeyes" are not-exactly-cookies that us back East people make at the holidays. They involve peanut butter mixed with powdered sugar, rolled into balls, then dipped in melted chocolate, leaving a spot. This means they look like actual buckeyes, hence the name. They're yummy. I bet these brownies rock in much the same way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn typos. Buckeyes for crying out loud.

      Delete
    2. Ohio! -- Sorry, flashback. Those cookies sound yum.

      Delete