Friday, November 13, 2015

Traditions by Felice Stevens


It's coming up on holiday time and as they naturally do, my thoughts turn to food and what I'm going to be making for family dinners in the coming months.

First up is Thanksgiving. My favorite holiday. I don't make a whole turkey because it's only the four of us now and no one likes the dark meat. I also make a brisket, because no holiday meal in my house is complete without one. My secret to a great brisket is wine in the sauce, slow cooking on the stove and constant basting with the liquid.

My questions always come about the sides. My favorite is stuffing; I could eat that all by itself. I have the obligatory sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. I mash them up and add pineapple too. It's delicious. I make cranberry sauce with apple chunks and cinnamon. I roast my vegetables like Brussels sprouts and asparagus. My daughter makes pumpkin pie and my son makes apple something.  

Chanukah comes a month or so later and the menu is the same, except for the addition of potato pancakes, or Latkes. So amazingly delicious, I could eat an entire platter myself. My mother used to use a hand grater and yes they were the best, but I use a food processor now and they taste almost as good. The trick is to squeeze out as much liquid from the potatoes before you mix in the eggs, oil and seasonings. That makes for a crispier pancake.










I'd love to learn some of your family foodie traditions. And please, feel free to post your recipes and pictures too

No comments:

Post a Comment