Thursday, November 5, 2015

When the muse is in the zone by Riley Hart


I decided to try and do NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) this year. For those of you who don't know, the goal is to write 50,000 words in the month of November. I've never done NaNo before. I signed up one year but didn't nothing with it. I'm determined this year though. My husband is working again (he had 2.5 years off and I LOVED it. It's what I wanted), and that made it a lot easier for me to get things done. With him working that means I won't get much writing done over Christmas vacation or any of the other days the kids aren't in school. The last half of December and the first part of January are going to be tough for me, so NaNo is coming at the perfect time. I was going to get busy on that manuscript I've been trying to work on for a loooong time now.

Um...nope.

Let me rephrase. It's not that I'm not writing. I am. I'm writing like crazy, to be honest, but I'm not working on the book I planned to finish. I've struggled with that book and I can't put my finger on why, and now I've been hit with a bright, shiny NEW idea that I can't stop thinking about. It's a constant flame that won't go out and as I'm writing this blog post on Wednesday evening I've clocked in nearly 15,000 words on the book since starting it on Sunday.

My muse is totally in the zone and I can do nothing except follow her along for the ride.

It's a pretty incredible feeling, to be honest.

If there's one thing I've learned since I started writing is that I can't force a book that's not ready to be written. I'd be doing myself, my characters, their story AND my readers a disservice by doing that.

So, while it's not the book I originally told everyone I'd be working on next, I hope you'll all love this new story even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment