Friday, December 4, 2015

Here I am by Felice Stevens


The common theme many of us here is to disengage from social media, spend more time writing or reading. I'm here to say that I don't entirely agree. Here's why.

I keep my writing life and my personal life separate; I don't talk to my friends or co-workers about my writing, my ideas for storylines or my fears of failure or discouragement. 

If I disconnected from Facebook, I never would have met and fostered friendships with some of the authors and readers I have. These people have become very dear to me and I can say are instrumental in my ability to keep writing. Do I spend an inordinate amount of time on social media? Maybe. I don't know. I don't really use Twitter; I sporadically use Pinterest and Tumblr, and am starting to figure out Instagram.



But Facebook is where I socialize; I chat with author friends, bounce ideas of them and give and get advice. I love chatting with readers, and getting messages from them about my books still amaze me. Two people who were instrumental in my getting published were Facebook friends before I ever met them in person. They beta read and critiqued my books for me. I owe them, virtual strangers, everything. 

If I cut off Facebook, I cut off my writing lifeline; my ability to grow as an author and as a friend. I can speak to my husband about things but it's different. No one but another author would be able to look at my pages and tell me I'm info dumping or head hopping.

So while many people talk about taking a Facebook break or a total break from social media, that's fine for them. But I'm going to continue to be on-line as long as I can.

You can choose to LIKE that or unfollow it. 

My new holiday release, The  Greatest Gift is now available for pre-order on Amazon:

http://amzn.to/1TDrJ3W

No comments:

Post a Comment