Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Ask Andrew - Let the Characters Do the Driving by Andrew Grey


Dear Andrew

Do your characters ever take over your writing and make the story go somewhere you hadn't originally planned?

Dawn

Dear Dawn

That happens all the dang time.  I tend to write by the seat of my pants so changes in direction are common, but while I'm writing I have an idea of where the story will go and the kind of story I'm going to write.  More than once I've ended up in a very different place than I expected.  With Fire and Rain one of the characters introduced an entire part of their family that I didn't see coming and that changed the entire ending of the story.  I really adore the way it turned out.  (Also Isaac, the young brother in Fire and Rain had his own opinions on how things should go a few times.  I will say I'm not used to taking instruction from four year olds.)

I think the most intense example is a novella called Shared Revelations.  This story took a complete left turn that I wasn't expecting.  I had expected the story to be about falling in love with a football player and the player turned out to be a jerk and a completely new love interest stepped up to the plate.  I love the story as it is and I'm glad the characters took it in a whole new direction. 

Basically my philosophy is to go with the flow and not to fight the characters.  It doesn't do any good and after all, its their story.

Hugs and Love
Andrew

If you have a question for Andrew, please email it to andrewgreybooks@comcast.net and hopefully I can answer your question next time.

Normally I have some bio and other information, but this week I am writing this post from Vision of the Seas as we pull into Aruba.  I wish you were all on board with me and we could party away the evenings.  Take care and keep warm.





1 comment: