Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Ask Andrew - The Books We Read


Dear Andrew,

You already explained in this blog how events you witnessed or were part of, or people you met found their way into your stories. I was wondering whether novels by other authors are also a source of inspiration. Obviously, I'm not speaking of plagiarism, but of using a phrase, a situation, a feeling as some sort of a springboard, or as an incentive to spin you own tale.

Kindest regards,
Madeleine


Dear Madeleine

Yes there have bene times when a story I've read has sparked an idea.  Many years ago I was reading a scene in a romance and I was pulled out of the story completely.  This was back in the earlier days of gay romance.  This was a shifter story and the one character was scarred.  There was a scene when the author finally dealt with that issue and as I read it, I thought the author handled it very wrong.  I just thought it should have been done differently.

That error, in my judgement, stuck with me well after I'd finished the reading the story, so in the end I developed characters and situation for a short story and wrote it.  The entire purpose was for me to write a similar scene to what the author had done wrong, and this time do it the way I thought it should be done.  In the end, the author told their story and I told mine.  They were very different, but her work inspired me. 

That exact kind of inspiration hasn't happened again, but I do read stories where I see an element or watch a movie where I think a plot devise is clever and file it away because I think that will work well in a story.  I will say that the more something moved me emotionally, the more likely it is to inspire something in my writing.

Hugs and Love
Andrew

Ask Andrew is your chance to ask questions of a gay romance author.  The questions can be about the writing process in general, writing sex scenes, gay men, sex, characters in romance, characters having sex... okay you probably get the picture.    I promise to answer your questions as frankly and with as much humor as I possibly can.

So if you have a question, please send it to andrewgreybooks@comcast.net.  This is different from my usual email so your questions don't get lost.  I will answer one question a week.

Please remember this is meant to be all in fun.  (I was going to say good, clean fun, but who wants that.)    So send me your questions and let's see what mischief we can get into.

Visit Andrew on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/andrewgreybooks  and you can join Andrew's fan group All The Way With Andrew Grey.

Follow him on Twitter:  @andrewgreybooks

Visit Andrew's web site:  www,andrewgreybooks.com


1 comment:

  1. Your books all seem to inspire me with my art. Many times you describe a place so well that I can't help but think I am actually there and hence forth I paint what my mind sees. Someday I hope I'm brave enough to take the story I wrote and try and see what happens. Thank you for your inspiration. You are my MUSE!

    ReplyDelete