Monday, February 29, 2016

Tea Infused, Steel Cut Oatmeal Recipe by Cardeno C.


Happy Monday! Who likes oatmeal? I do. But I'm not a fan of the instant pre-sweetened stuff. There's a coffee shop I love that has this *amazing* steel cut oatmeal. I decided I had to find a way to make this myself (and save my seven bucks) and I think I succeeded!


Ingredients


  • 3.5 Cups water 
  • 8 Tea Bags (I used Earl Gray)
  • 1 Cup steel cut oats
  • Dash of salt
  • Dollop of cream cheese or something else creamy, like cream ;)
  • Toppings of your choice (raisins, almonds, walnuts, fresh fruit, cinnamon, honey, etc.)

Instructions

  1. Pour water into saucepan and boil. 
  2. Put tea bags in water.
  3. After tea has steeped (three-ish minutes), remove the tea bags.
  4. Pour in the oats and add the salt.
  5. Return to a boil, reduce the heat to a low simmer, and cook for about half an hour, stirring every once in a while and making sure the oats aren't sticking to the bottom of the pan.
  6.  When the oats are tender and the water is gone, turn off the heat and add in something creamy. I used a dollop of cream cheese because I had some left from the bagel place.
     
  7. Stir the creamy stuff in until integrated. 
  8. Put the creamy oats in a bowl and top with whatever you like. I used raisins and slivered almonds because I had them on hand. If I plan better next time, I'll use fresh fruit. 
I hope you let me know if you try this and have tweaks I should try. Have a terrific week!

CC

        4 comments:

        1. I wasn't too sure about this, but it looks wonderful. Of course I love the pretty bowl too. 😄

          ReplyDelete
          Replies
          1. It's yummy and the tea flavor is subtle. And the bowl is blue so of course you love it!

            Delete
        2. Would it be possible to pulverize the earl grey tea and add it into the oats container? I'm anticipating that it might infuse the oats with more flavor and also when you make it, it should have more overall tea flavor, if you want that sort of thing. :)

          ReplyDelete