Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Ask Andrew - Get the Juices Flowing


Dear Andrew

When you write, what are some of the things that inspire you? Do you listen to a certain type of music, for example or what gets the creative juices flowing?

Jenifer


Jenifer

Inspiration and getting the creative juices flowing are two different things for me.  In order to get the creative juices flowing in a daily basis, I rely on routine and discipline.  Writing is my Day job, so I treat it like that.  I have work clothes, sweats and a t-shirt.  I have a rook I write in and times that I work on my manuscript. I know it sounds regimented, but at those times, my brain kicks in and the work slows. 

Overall inspiration comes from all over.  I have bene inspired by music, art, stories in newspapers and online.  The idea for an overall story is a bigger picture thing than getting the creative juices flowing. For me that tends to be the ah-ha moment and they are precious.    I am working on a story right now called Love Never Dies.  (No vampires)  It was inspired by a song about how love never really goes away.  It can stretch and lie dormant for long periods, but it never truly goes away.  See, once the idea is there, you can play and work with it and that's precious.

Hugs and love
Andrew


Ask Andrew is your chance to ask questions of a gay romance author.  The questions can be about the writing process in general, writing sex scenes, gay men, sex, characters in romance, characters having sex... okay you probably get the picture.    I promise to answer your questions as frankly and with as much humor as I possibly can.

So if you have a question, please send it to andrewgreybooks@comcast.net.  This is different from my usual email so your questions don't get lost.  I will answer one question a week.

Please remember this is meant to be all in fun.  (I was going to say good, clean fun, but who wants that.)    So send me your questions and let's see what mischief we can get into.

Visit Andrew on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/andrewgreybooks  and you can join Andrew's fan group All The Way With Andrew Grey.

Follow him on Twitter:  @andrewgreybooks

Visit Andrew's web site:  www,andrewgreybooks.com

2 comments:

  1. what do you do when you hit a writer's block?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not very good at keeping to a set routine and I know that hurts my word count. You always have excellent advice.

    ReplyDelete