Friday, March 25, 2016

FEAR by Felice Stevens


What would you do if you weren't afraid?

All of us have some fear. Fear of flying, of heights maybe of bugs.
I'm 5'8" but am scared of little bugs; I fear getting up on step stools, since I don't like heights. And I'm not that fond of flying either. I need to be like Samantha the witch from Bewitched; wiggle my nose and be there.

As a writer, you pour everything you have into your stories. But once they're out in the world they are lost to us in a way. At that point, some fear the loss of control of their characters. We all fear reviews.

Its taken me until now to realize you have to kick this fear to the curb and just do it. Life goes on whether you participate or hide beneath the covers. And unless you have someone ridiculously hot waiting under there for you, you have to come out and live. There is no other alternative. Fear is a dirty, ugly word, designed to stand over you with its foot on your neck and mock you.

So I say, throw off the fear. Take a trip, stand on a ladder or finally commit to writing that book you were going to start every year, but never had the time for. Don't believe someone who said they've never been afraid. Everyone has been afraid once in their lives. Its what you choose to do with that fear that will determine whether you will succeed or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment