Thursday, March 10, 2016

Length by Riley Hart


I want to talk about length of books today. I've always mostly written full length novels. Now, when I say that I don't mean I'm one of those authors who writes 100,000 word books (not that there is anything wrong with that! I just am not good at it). My books are usually between 65,000 to 70,000 words. That's a comfortable length for me. Not too long, not too short. Broken Pieces is the longest book I've written at 104,000 words, but that story definitely needed it. LOL.

Anyway, back to length. I actually like reading books that are between 60,000 and 80,000 words. If a book is too long, I sometimes loose interest or the story drags for me. On the flip side, I'll admit I don't read a ton of novellas either. It's not that I never do. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a quick story that I can read before bed, but I have to be in the mood for that.

But...I actually have two possible novellas I'll be writing this year! That means 20,000-30,000 words. I'm both excited and nervous about them. LOL. That sounds silly, but it's true.

So my question for you is, do you like novellas? Are there times you just want that quick read? Are you a bigger the book the better reader? Inquiring minds want to know :)

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I like novellas. Not too short though, that never gives you enough back story. But from around 50 pages usually works. Truly exceptional writers can manage on even fewer pages. Micah's Soldier by Jessie G is 27 pages according to Amazon and OMG all the feels in that little gem. So it isn't impossible.

    I actually appreciate economy with words (says the person that writes long sentences and blathers on and on. Trust me - I see the irony here :-) ). But maybe it is just because I seem to be unable to keep it short that I actually prefer it in others? :-)

    On the other hand I'm really not that fond of books that are too long. I rarely read books with more than 300 pages. It often drags out the plot to much or too many things get thrown at the poor characters so that stuff gets exhausting and unbelievable. I will however make an exception to that rule if I know I like the author's work, in that case I'm willing to brave a longer book.

    But I seriously don't like stuff that's too long, and not only books. Double CDs, 3 hour long movies. Seriously people: edit, edit, edit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i much prefer novels. I generally find novellas frustrating because they don't provide the character development and plot that I enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Novella's are a hit/miss thing. Mostly due to price so I don't bother reading them unless they come in anthologies and the library buys them.

    Also, I have found some authors write really good longer books, and really poor novella's. The reverse applies as well.

    Personally, I prefer about 300 to 400 pages but lately most are 200 to 300 for the same price and I am buying a lot less than I use to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Novella's are a hit/miss thing. Mostly due to price so I don't bother reading them unless they come in anthologies and the library buys them.

    Also, I have found some authors write really good longer books, and really poor novella's. The reverse applies as well.

    Personally, I prefer about 300 to 400 pages but lately most are 200 to 300 for the same price and I am buying a lot less than I use to.

    ReplyDelete