Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Ask Andrew - Keeping Track of Series


Dear Andrew,

My question this week stems from the sheer number of books I read.  As an author each of you have your own development for storylines, sex scenes, series, and character traits.  I am an avid fan of your work so I realize how quickly you fulfill us greedy readers with new stories.

What are your methods for keeping track of these stories?  Are there some that keep you pushing yourself until they're done because they are screaming so loudly or others that you end up squashing for long periods because something's missing?

Dragontieggs

Dear Dragontieggs

I am blessed because my editor has created a character spreadsheet for each of my stories and I can refer to those when I'm working on a new story in a series.  Its amazingly helpful for me.  But I will tell you that when I'm working on a new story in a series, I review the previous stories so I can make sure that I have them all in my head while I'm writing.   It helps make the writing process go more smoothly for me and it also helps me avoid stupid continuity mistakes.  

To answer your next questions, of course there are always stories that are easier to write.  Some, when you're lucky as hell, they practically write themselves and as a writer you live for those times.  They are few and far between.  So when it happens you get down on your knees and thank the writing gods.  On the flip side, there are stories that are more difficult to write.  Those take more patience, time on the phone with plotty buddies, and chocolate.  Lots of chocolate.

Hugs and Love
Andrew



Ask Andrew is your chance to ask questions of a gay romance author.  The questions can be about the writing process in general, writing sex scenes, gay men, sex, characters in romance, characters having sex... okay you probably get the picture.    I promise to answer your questions as frankly and with as much humor as I possibly can.

So if you have a question, please send it to andrewgreybooks@comcast.net.  This is different from my usual email so your questions don't get lost.  I will answer one question a week.

Please remember this is meant to be all in fun.  (I was going to say good, clean fun, but who wants that.)    So send me your questions and let's see what mischief we can get into.

Visit Andrew on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/andrewgreybooks  and you can join Andrew's fan group All The Way With Andrew Grey.

Follow him on Twitter:  @andrewgreybooks

Visit Andrew's web site:  www,andrewgreybooks.com

2 comments:

  1. LOL! Chocolate? I would have thought a difficult story would drive an author to drink. 😜

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Kendra said, I prefer wine when a story is giving me trouble. I do cherish those parts of a story that just flow forth compared to the ones I have to drag into the light, kicking and screaming.

    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete