Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Q&A with Sean, Kiernan, Julia and BA- influences


BA:

What's your favorite genre to read in that's not romance?

Horror/Suspense and I have a huge fondness for feminist lit, a la Marilyn French.

Who is your biggest influence as a writer?

Stephen King, no question. He's my hero. I want to be him when I grow up.

What writer of the past would you most like to meet? Of the present?

I would love to have a conversation with Kate Chopin or Charlotte Perkins Gilman. Of the present, I would love to chat with Stephen King. Not about anything in particular, just chat.

What's your best not typically romance story that more readers need to know about?

I have a horror novel that was released years ago and has been given a hard polish, a new title, and is coming out as a BA Tortuga instead of a Dallas Coleman. It originally came out as Diggers and it's being re-released as Unearthed by DSP Publications in 2017. :D

I've also written a lesbian young adult novel as Anne Key called Stealing Bases which I'm very proud of and I'm seriously considering writing a serial killer thriller featuring a psychic and a lesbian FBI agent. We'll see where that goes.

Kiernan

What's your favorite genre to read in that's not romance?

Horror. Horror, horror, horror! I grew up reading Stephen King (still my go-to re-reads, especially his early stuff), Dean Koontz, Robert McCammon, et al. I particularly like my horror with a paranormal twist. McCammon's "Swan Song" and King's "The Stand" are two of my all time favorites.

Who is your biggest influence as a writer? Again, I see a lot of Stephen King's influence in my writing, even when I'm writing romance. I also see some Dave Barry in me - I love his sarcastic wit.

What writer of the past would you most like to meet? Of the present? STEPHEN KING. I want him to live in his head, just for a day.

What's your best not typically romance story that more readers need to know about? I have two horror stories available at Amazon. One is a very short read called "Dolly," and the other is a novella called "The Hole." Neither is a romance, but I think they're both pretty neat reads.

Sean

What's your favorite genre to read in that's not romance?

Science Fiction and within Sci-fi it's post-apocalyptic fiction (but I do love most sci-fi, just that's the favorite sub-genre)

Who is your biggest influence as a writer?

Probably Steven King, but there are lots of books that make me go, damn I want to write like that when I grow up.

What writer of the past would you most like to meet? Of the present?

I think it would be great fun to meet Shakespeare - I expect he was foul-mouthed and full of low-brow humor. But I'd also love to meet the romantic poets. And to hang out with Hemingway and Stein in a Paris cafe for an afternoon.

What's your best not typically romance story that more readers need to know about?

Coming Through Slaughter by Michael Ondaatje - this is one of those books that makes me fall in love with words and literature all over again. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess does that too, but that one is probably much more well-known. So apparently I was meant to name one of my books on this last question. I'd have to go with Windbrothers. It's a full-blown fantasy novel!

Julia

What's your favorite genre to read in that's not romance?

Mystery and suspense. I read a lot of het and bi romance as well.

Who is your biggest influence as a writer?

I see a lot of Elizabeth Peters in me. Johanna Lindsey and Karen Robards when it comes to romance. Stephen King really has shaped my generation as far as storytelling. Shirley Jackson stunned me with her surprises.

What writer of the past would you most like to meet? Of the present?

I love idea of meeting Donne and Shakespeare and such. I got to see Stephen King speak not long ago and would love to sit and chat. Neil Gaiman fascinates me. Most of my romance heroes I've met, including Desiree Holt. Adore her.

What's your best not typically romance story that more readers need to know about?

Hmmm. Tomb of the God King, which will come out next year with DSP as a reprint is a Cthulian adventure with H Rider Haggard elements. I'll link y'all when it's out!

Got questions? Send them on!

You can find us on Twitter at @seanmichael09, @juliatalbot, @batortuga and @KiernanKelly

Sean’s website is http://www.seanmichaelwrites.com

Julia’s is http://www.juliatalbot.com BA’s is http://www.batortuga.com

Kiernan's is www.KiernanKelly.com

Facebook:

Sean -- https://www.facebook.com/SeanMichaelWrites

Julia -- https://www.facebook.com/juliatalbotauthor

BA -- https://www.facebook.com/batortuga

Kiernan -- https://www.facebook.com/kiernan.kelly

XXoo

Julia Talbot

No comments:

Post a Comment