Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Ask Andrew - Plotter or Pantser - Andrew Grey


Dear Andrew

Are you a pantser or a plotter? Do you know how a book will end when you begin writing it or do you make it up as you go along?

Dawn

Dear Dawn

Okay, I think I need to explain what we're talking about first.  Writers tend to fall into two categories.  Plotters and pantsers.  A plotter outlines the story in some detail, knowing at least the basic outline of the story and the twists and turns that the story is going to take.  A pantser begins with an idea and begins writing the story letting it unfold as it progresses.

I am most definitely a pantser for the most part.  I generally start with two characters and a situation, and write the story from there.  I don't usually have an outline or even a roadmap to the story.  Sometimes I have a clear view of the ending and at other times I don't.  It depends on the story. 

There are stories where I act a little more like a plotter.  When I'm writing a suspense story, as Dirk, I tend to outline more because of the mystery and suspense elements that require more planning.  A good example is the upcoming Playing with Fire.  The plot is complex so I spent more time planning it out.  But for the most part I fly by the seat of my pants.

Hugs and love
Andrew


Ask Andrew is your chance to ask questions of a gay romance author.  The questions can be about the writing process in general, writing sex scenes, gay men, sex, characters in romance, characters having sex... okay you probably get the picture.    I promise to answer your questions as frankly and with as much humor as I possibly can.

So if you have a question, please send it to andrewgreybooks@comcast.net.  This is different from my usual email so your questions don't get lost.  I will answer one question a week.

Please remember this is meant to be all in fun.  (I was going to say good, clean fun, but who wants that.)    So send me your questions and let's see what mischief we can get into.

Visit Andrew on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/andrewgreybooks  and you can join Andrew's fan group All The Way With Andrew Grey.

Follow him on Twitter:  @andrewgreybooks

No comments:

Post a Comment