Friday, November 18, 2016

Perspective by Felice Stevens


Normally we post about happy things here on the blog, but I wanted to take a minute and talk about something very important. 

Us. Our bodies, our minds. Our health. 

We're overstressed, overworked, underpaid and under appreciated. We may eat too much, or too little, drink too much and don't go outside to breathe fresh air and exercise our bodies and our minds. We are all so caught up in a daily routine of run to work, run to get the kids to school, rush to shop for groceries, rush to get home and finish that next chapter...run run run...You get the idea.

Earlier this year I had a health scare and while it thankfully proved benign, it was a wakeup call for me. I decided to take myself in hand and be pro-active. No one is going to take care of me better than, well, me. 

Yesterday I found out a woman I'd been friendly with and whose daughter was friends with my son has advanced stage cancer. She's younger than I am and it's so sad and scary for her and her children.

We need to pay attention to ourselves and our bodies' signals to slow down, that something isn't right. 

We can't use the excuse that it's too expensive or we don't have the time. If we can't get to the gym, or the gym is too expensive. there are ways to get exercise at home. Cable television has FitTv which has all kinds of exercises on television. Youtube has many channels featuring exercises. And if you have an iPhone there are many apps to help  you workout. I've used Sworkit, which shows you how to do the exercises on your phone.

You don't need fancy clothes or sneakers or equipment. Use heavy cans or jars as weights; you can buy stretch bands for cheap and use them as resistance. Use a jump rope. Just get moving. Try and drink water instead of sugary drinks. Eat dark green vegetables. 

The winter, with its shorter days and lack of sun can bring on seasonal affective disorder. We get depressed and feel helpless. Know you aren't alone. Make sure you take your medication and if you feel sad and overwhelmed, try to talk to someone. If you know of someone who exhibits signs of this illness, check up on them and make sure they're okay.

We're all in this together. Let's take care of each other.



No comments:

Post a Comment