Friday, January 20, 2017

Romance With a Capital R by Felice Stevens


If you've read my books you know I write romantic stories of men falling in love, or, in the case of my next release, Reunited, men already in love but facing challenges. Yes, I write Romance...some may call it schmoopy, some may call it sappy, but whatever you want to call it, I stand by it. I grew up reading romance books that swept me away to glittering courts or pirate ships, harems or the English countryside. It was a way to escape, if only for a few hours the stress of everyday life. And what I like to read is what I like to write.

I'll be the first to admit authors shouldn't read reviews, but sometimes its can't be helped. I've been sneered at and laughed at for unrealistic plots and storylines, but the more I've written the more I've learned that for every book someone didn't enjoy, there is a reader who did. I'm here to talk about that part, because it's important.

In the last few weeks I've gotten quite a few emails from readers, and to my surprise they've mostly been from men. I'm going to quote them because their words truly resonate with me.

"Hello Ms. Stevens, I just finished A Walk Through Fire and wanted to tell you what a great story it is. I actually took off a day of work to finish the book and now I wish I had more to read... I normally don't cry when reading stories, unless it's about a dog, but you did it to me this time. Thanks again. Bob R."

"This is not typical of me, but... I just finished your book Beyond the Surface. I'm usually a stoic, hard person. I wept through much of the book. Mostly of the acceptance from Nick's family (which I never got) as well as the realization of what Julian experience as to what is valuable in life. Great book. I am somewhat transformed. Lol. Corny, but from the heart. Than you. I need to cry." John. J

I didn't post this to puff myself up, but to show how for every story there is a reader. I personally am thrilled when any reader takes the time to send me an email about any of my books good or bad, but to have it come from men, especially gay men is especially validating. For an author to know that your book has touched a reader personally is the highest compliment.


So yes, I write Romance that some may call old-fashioned but I plan to keep on writing just the same way. I write books where men aren't afraid to show emotion, love fiercely and whole-heartedly and want to find love and their own happily ever after. Hopefully the stories will keep resonating with you all.

Coming soon!
Reunited, the sequel to Rescued is coming January 31st.

4 comments:

  1. Love your stories! Keep doing what your doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy!! I appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. As a man who reads your work religiously, I love your schmoop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Thanks, Michael. It means so much to me to read that. Thank you! <3

      Delete