Thursday, February 9, 2017

Flawed Characters by Riley Hart


I've always been a huge fan of flawed characters. If you read my books, my Nyrae books especially, I think you will see that. I've always been a character writer. I'm obsessed with my people and digging down to the meat of who they are...and that's not always pretty. Actually, let me rephrase that because it's not true. What's not always pretty is the outside layer they show the world--their facade, those protective walls they hide behind. Once you get past those walls? That's when you see the person for who they are. When you break down all those other parts and get to the core of them.

I believe we're all flawed--some of us, much more than others. I love taking a character who messes up, who has lost their way, and who is far from perfect, and showing them to the path to happiness and being real in who they are. Finding their way. That's one of my favorite things about writing. Stitching together those flawed pieces of an imperfect person and making them a whole. Not perfect because none of them are--but whole. Or a more formed version of who they are. Even people who have messed up deserve their happily ever after and it's a special kind of feeling to be the one who gets to give it to them.

One of my favorite characters I've ever written (it was as Nyrae) is a character no one was really looking forward to. They were nervous. He was closed off. But to this day, I feel like his journey is one of the most important ones I've written. He will always be one of my favorite characters.

There are so many different experiences out there. So many histories and heartaches and paths to becoming true to who you are. I love exploring that.

Are you a fan of flawed characters? What is it about them that touches your heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment